Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FLAT VERBS    

FLAT VERBS

mylena87
Brazil

FLAT VERBS

Hello everybody!!!!
i was reading about adverbs when i found this out: FLAT ADVERBS!
As i could understando, there are some of them which have the same form as adjective and as adverb!
Do you know or have a list of them? have you ever anylised this??
Share ur informations ok??
kissess

29 Oct 2008      

Crespus2006
United States

Flat verbs? I dunno. I know adjectives like "FAT" can be nouns. So "FAT" is an adjective and a noun, as well. But, I don�t think it�s like a flat verb, right?

29 Oct 2008     

matteunsun
United Kingdom

As I understand, flat verbs are verbs which do not convey an action such as be, have, say...

There are adjectives/adverbs which have the same form: fast (fast car/drive fast), hard (hard work/work hard) but these are not flat verbs/adverbs (as far as I know).

It was a good question!Big smile

29 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have never heard of "flat..."m but there are some adjectives which do not change when used as adverbs: fast, hard, etc

"This is hard work"   (=adj)
"He works hard"   (=adv)

Is that what you mean?  

Smile

29 Oct 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Could you give us some context please?
Where did you read or hear "flat verbs"?

29 Oct 2008     

mylena87
Brazil

Well... thanks for the replies, but i think that i must make myself more understandable.

Flat adverb is a grammatical name gived for those wich have the same structure as adverb or adjective (it doesn�t involve nouns).

I read some examples in your replies, such as fast and hard, but there are more than that and it�s what i want to know!!!

It�s not sth that u teach in school, i think that�s u�re only able to learn it in a graduation course!!!

But, unfortunally or not, it came to me and know i�m in doubt!!! Afff....

I tried to make researchs, but it wasn�t enough!!!

I was hoping that you, my friends, might can find it in English Advanced Grammars (that I don�t have).

Hopefully u can find out something about it!!!

Waiting 4 ur answers,

Mylena

29 Oct 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Hi, dictionary.com seems to know this use of flat:

�adjective
27. Grammar. derived without change in form, as English to brush from the noun brush and adverbs that do not add -ly to the adjective form as fast, cheap, and slow.
It may have a sense to say it about verbs.

29 Oct 2008     

mylena87
Brazil

thanks nabila!!!

30 Oct 2008