Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Federico García Lorca (5thJun1898-19thAug1936)    

Federico García Lorca (5thJun1898-19thAug1936)

libertybelle
United States

Ivona!  I just ordered it (used) from Amazon and also found another book that sounds fascinating - it �s called The Time Traveller �s Wife.

These poems are wonderful!!  Thank you for sharing!
Hugs
L

19 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Yes, orit, it is written in the way most books aren �t - with wonderful, one-of-a-kind simple but effective and unique metaphors! When he was describing a piano in the room, he saw the keys of the piano as �grinning � at him ... Ahhhhh, just lovely. To me, a piano player, it was ... ahhhh. Oh, and Fremin, the wittiest and funniest cynic! Just like Gully from "The Horse �s Mouth"! ( Favourite books)

19 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Federico Garcia Lorca
(died on 19thAug1936)

Dear colleagues, I suggest that, with this type of thread, we build on a specific subject, so, to draw your attention on Garcia Lorca,  who died 73 years ago from today, I quote:

I �m hurt, hurt and humiliated beyond endurance, seeing the wheat ripening, the fountains  never ceasing to give water, the sheep bearing hundreds of lambs, the she-dogs, until it  seems the whole country rises to show me its tender sleeping young while I feel two  hammer-blows here instead of the mouth of my child.
Fernando Garcia Lorca, in Yerma, act 2.

(this is really powerful, don�t you think so?)

Painting: Dali, Invisible Afghan with the Apparition on the Beach of the Face of
Garcia Lorca in the Form of a Fruit Dish with Three Figs
, 1938;
taken from: virtualdali.com

Edit: Seems that I multiposted the same message; too many windows open. I excuse myself.

19 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Nika,

I �ve never heard of this great poet before. Thanks for attracting our attentions to his great art. I loved the first poem veryyyyyyyyy much. It �s sooooooooo rich of meaning though with few lines.

I googled him and found a nice poem by hime that I would like to share with you.

Gacela of the Dead Child by Federico Garcia Lorca

Each afternoon in Granada,
each afternoon, a child dies.
Each afternoon the water sits down
and chats with its companions.

The dead wear mossy wings.
The cloudy wind and the clear wind
are two pheasants in flight through the towers,
and the day is a wounded boy.

Not a flicker of lark was left in the air
when I met you in the caverns of wine.
Not the crumb of a cloud was left in the ground
when you were drowned in the river.

A giant of water fell down over the hills,
and the valley was tumbling with lilies and dogs.
In my hands´ violet shadow, your body,
dead on the bank, was an angel of coldness.

Hugs,

Nebal

19 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Two quotes  by Lorca to share:

"As I have not worried to be born, I do not worry to die."

"The two elements the traveler first captures in the big city are extra human architecture and furious rhythm. Geometry and anguish. At first glance, the rhythm may be confused with gaiety, but when you look more closely at the mechanism of social life and the painful slavery of both men and machines, you see that it is nothing but a kind of typical, empty anguish that makes even crime and gangs forgivable means of escape."

19 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

some great things here as well...

19 Aug 2009     

epit
Turkey

Thanks They are all nice.

1 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2