Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THE ESL BOOK CLUB!    

THE ESL BOOK CLUB!

mariannina
Italy

nika that �s why I love that book! You may be Mr.Darcy or Lizzy but what is important it to recognize you made a mistake and start again!

19 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Linlin, A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz: touching; sounds like Dickens describing people, the quietness of domestic intimacy and brilliant blending of both individual and historical perspectives.

19 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

GREAT IDEA

19 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh my, people, you �ve just made me want to read more and more. I just wish I had the time - I usually make up for it during summer holidays. Nebal, you have to read Memoirs of a Geisha - the way that author describes their dressing rituals was so detailed, wonderful, made you feel like you could touch the silk right then and there... And of course, as always, so many more details than in movies, and you get to really follow her life from early childhood till the end... It �s like somebody carefully and lovingly, with great patience and understanding, painting on a large piece of silk...

As for Pride and Prejudice, I read that book first at the age of 18 and it struck a core within me, especially because I knew then about the times Austen lived in and the position of women then, so I could really understand her little, brilliant pearls of dark humour inserted in the descriptions of characters, or even just passing (seemly passing) comments on sth said. Absolutely fabulous writing!

Edgar Allan Poe feeds the dark side of my soul - his morbid short stories are a must in all my advanced groups for Halloween and I have created generations of fans! They were shocked, though, to find out Annabel Lee was his work, too! When I first read The Mask of Red Death and realizes it was a metaphor on plague, I reread it at once, and realised it was such a fantastic description of the way people handle trouble when they think it �s happening to sb else....

Talk about dark, I loved Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - so many paralels can be drawn in that book, the rich and poor parts of London then, personified in Jekyll and Hyde. My sts and I talked about drugs as well when we were doing this book, and you �d be amazed how this old-fashioned text opened their minds and mouths...
Somebody stop me, I �m talking too much again! Sorry

PS: Has anyone read Fried Green Tomatos? Fantastic

19 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Btw, fantastic post, libertybelle! Thank you so much for this idea! Isn �t it great to have a post like this - trying to think of all the great stuff you read in life is sort of like a walk down memory lane, isn �t it? Thank you!
Anita

PS: Zora, I read Waltari �s the Egyptian when I was about 15, and my husband read them all when he met me. I wish kids could study history through such books!

19 Aug 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Almost all of your lists coincide somewhat with mine, but add James Joyce, Norah Roberts and Isabel Allende, to name but a few.

19 Aug 2009     

mariamit
Greece

What a great post. I love reading. It seems that I share the same taste as many of you

Some of my favourites are

Marquez- One Hundred Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera

Austen - Pride and Prejudice

Coelho�s "The alchemist"  and " 11 minutes" 

Allende- The House of Spirits, The Sum of Our Days: A Memoir

Maria

19 Aug 2009     

poleta
Spain

Only to start...because I love reading...

One Hundred Years of Solitude ... Gabriel Garc�a M�quez
Eva Luna  and The stories of Eva Luna ...Isabel Allende
Silk ...Alessandro Baricco
The God of Small Things. ...Arundhati Roy
BRADLEY, MARION ZIMMER..."The Mists of Avalon"

Poems from Mario Benedetti

19 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hello there everyone... just got back from my classes and I see that the topic has continued on!

Another few books that came to me while I was in class and that I would add to my list are: Hans Christian Anderson �s collection of fairy tales
The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

And Anita... Smile How right you are about, just how nice it would be if students (or anybody) could study history by reading a book like the Egyptian. I bet that if more history books were like that story, more people would want to study!

19 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ zora
"The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith" have read it and loved it, even though i �m not that interested in that genre. This one won me.

19 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >