Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!!!!!!!!!Urgent!!!!!!!!!! - Analysis of a poem!!!!!!!    

Help!!!!!!!!!Urgent!!!!!!!!!! - Analysis of a poem!!!!!!!

vickyvar
Greece

Help!!!!!!!!!Urgent!!!!!!!!!! - Analysis of a poem!!!!!!!

Hello to everyone.

I need analysis for Robert Herrick �s poem : Upon the Loss of His Mistress.I cannot
find anything on the Internet and there is no library where I live.

Please, help me.

Thank you in advance.

19 Aug 2009      

libertybelle
United States

As far as I remember - he wrote:
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

He wrote alot about love, beauty, aging and things like that.

He seems to have many loves, each bringing something special into his life.
When the last one died, he must have been an old man by then and counts
the years of his life through the years with his mistresses.
When the last one died, so did he. Or at least his heart did.

That �s how I understand this poem.

19 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

There �s not much to say about the poem itself, not more than what Libertybelle suggested. What you should do is put it in the time frame when it was written and the "structure of feeling" that was on at the time - hedonism, pleasure, beauty,  carpe diem. It was the time of humanism and (late) renaissance, when man was the centre of all nature, not god... etc.

19 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Thanks a lot. I got the point. Ivona I think your approach is closer to the interpretation I need. Could you please expand your analysis a little bit? I know he was a Cavalier poet and his style had the characteristics of Cavalier poetry and I have written down all about this. I need a closer analysis.

Again, thanks a lot.

20 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Just to correct the title of the poem. It is: Upon the Loss of His Mistresses.

20 Aug 2009     

Sue.
Egypt

I found this, I don �t know if it helps??

�Upon the Loss of His Mistresses,� 1655
  1. Robert Herrick was a bachelor Anglican priest; he had no mistresses. How does �To His Book�s End� (page 1665) support the idea that Herrick�s mistresses are imaginary?   
  2. Using the footnote in the textbook and your own observation (and, if you wish, extra-credit research), what principles govern Herrick�s choice of the names of the seven imaginary mistresses in this poem?
  3. The meter of the poem is extremely regular.  How many syllables are in each line?  What is the pattern of accented and unaccented syllables?
  4. What is the rhyme scheme of the poem?
  5. What effect do the meter and rhyme have on you? Why would the poet deliberately choose this meter and rhyme scheme?
  6. This poem is known especially for its euphony.  What sounds do you find particularly euphonious?
  7. Given that the reader understands that the mistresses are imaginary, what is the tone of this poem?

http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~mercer/3543/3543StudyGuide9.htm

20 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hi Vicky!
There are many ways to analyze poetry.
One way is to analyze the poem itself with no reference to the author �s real life.
Another is where you take all things into consideration. Both the poem and the author �s life.
Then there is the form, symbolism, sounds, meter, rhyme etc.

It �s really important to know what is expected of you before starting.

Good luck!
L

20 Aug 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Hi L.

Yes, you are right about that. I just need some specific ideas rather than the general approach. A line to line analysis is what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Take care!
Vicky

20 Aug 2009