Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > 10 reasons to read a book - for Libertybelle and the book club.    

10 reasons to read a book - for Libertybelle and the book club.

eng789
Israel

10 reasons to read a book - for Libertybelle and the book club.

Thought you might enjoy this.  

1. Reading is free. Wait, let �s stop and think about this. We can visit a local library and check out a book for absolutely nothing. There is no one standing by each time we turn to the page to ask for money. There are plenty of books worth paying for and adding to a personal collection, but the act of reading is absolutely free.

2. It teaches grammar, sentence structure and communication skills. It is almost a passive way of learning these important skill sets. Reading gives the reader a sense of when things don �t look just right or sound correct. It can even help with spelling. A reader may not be a great speller, but at least be able to recognize that a word doesn �t look correct and follow up on the assumption.

Vocabulary grows with reading as well. Not everyone stops and looks up a word when they don �t know the definition, but they use context in order to understand the material. It doesn �t matter what type of books they are reading they come across new ways to express ideas and new words.

3. There are no commercials. There may be interruptions with life, family and friends. But one is never interrupted in reading a book to stop and listen to a commercial. Perhaps the same can not be said of magazines and even reading on line. They have lots of advertisements that can be passover,but they are there.

4. It is an acceptable way to learn how to do something, in fact almost anything. If learning to put on make up is a goal, there is a book about it. If hunting bears is your cup of tea, there �s a book that will give the details. The subjects simply have no limits.

5. Books make good friends, when there are no friends available. There is no need to be bored or depressed. Pick up a good book and become engrossed in the story.

6. Reading makes give you more knowledge. It may not teach common sense, but there is much to learn with reading. Recently there was a discussion about the validity of reading western novels. One woman chirped up that the biscuits she had made for her last camping trip were directly related to something she had read in a novel and added the extra secret ingredient. One never knows what may be hidden in the pages.

7. It is a great way to bond with a child. Take a child up in the lap and curl arms around them and read a book and there is bonding time.

8. Reading has no calories.

9. Reading is fun. There are books that make one laugh right out loud. Go on a quest for one.

10. Keeping the written word alive and well is a legacy for our future generations. Authors and historians will only keep writing as long as there is a need for their craft. Start reading a new book, today.

I especially like number 8. 

20 Aug 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Cool!

I agree, number 8 is awesome.

20 Aug 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Great! Thanks!!!

20 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Nice, Barb. TYVM!

20 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Wow, I love number 8, it �s so dear to my hips, but I love 7 more - it �s dear to my heart! Thanks - this is lovely - getting saved to my PC now!

20 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thumbs Up number 6 Thumbs Up thank you dear Barbara Hug

20 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I agree with Anita...number 7. I always read to my son...nearly every evening...and we �re still very close today and he �s 26, He �s a bookworm like me!!Hug
Fiona.

20 Aug 2009     

spring
Turkey

Number 5 is a kind of remedy at times of loneliness Wink

20 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

While we �re on the topic of reading, Daniel Pennac, a well-known French author, published the Bill of Rights for the Reader. If you read French, I strongly suggest you read "Chagrin d ��cole".

There is a book but here are the rights in summary:
And poster here 

1. The right to not read

2. The right to skip pages

3. The right to not finish

4. The right to reread

5. The right to read anything

6. The right to escapism

7. The right to read anywhere

8. The right to browse

9. The right to read out loud

10. The right to not defend your tastes

20 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I love this, as I am the original bookworm. 

1.  I have been known to go to a wedding with a book.  (just in case I am bored)
2.  I have sat at the table with my whole family and just read while we ate.
3.  I have spent whole nights reading and not sleeping.
4.  I have been know to get very anxious if I have nothing to read.
5.  If I have nothing to read at the table, I will read the Cereal box, Ketchup bottle or even the plastic bag on the bread.

Can anyone top that.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

20 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Eng, 789, thank you for reminding us about these quiet, constant friends and supporting teachers. They open new paths for us and keep showing us new trails to wander.
I �ll vote for
10. Keeping the written word alive and well is a legacy for our future generations.

In fact, Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind. (James Russell Lowell).

Besides, they (2) teach grammar, sentence structure and communication skills.

However, be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint (Mark Twain)

Painting: "The library", Portuguese painter, Maria Helena da Silva, 1949

20 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >