Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The "i" sound and the "ea" sound.    

The "i" sound and the "ea" sound.

S�rgio(o)
Portugal

When do we read: "ea" sound when we have got an "i"? As for example: pig
When do we read: "i" sound. When we have got an "i", too?  As for example: white
when do we read: "i" sound when we have got a "Y"? As for example: fly
when do we read: "ea" sound when we have got a "y", too? For example: Myth

Is there any rule? Do you know a site where we can find the explanation in english and/or in portuguese? Thanks in advance. Please send me the answer to my mail box.

21 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m afraid as reading goes, rules are - shaky! There are more exemptions to rules than actual rules. I know I loved the fact that Spanish has some basic reading rules and that �s it (unless we talk about dialects), but I don �t think I can help you with English on that point....
They do say English is a silly language...

21 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

You are pronouncing the short i in pig as a long e. This is typical of hispanic speakers. The confusion is because you are not making the correct English sound.  The word pig is called a CVC (Consonant Vowel Consonant)and ALWAYS has a short vowel sound for the vowel in the middle.  Pig is not peag.  The sound of long i as in white is read when there is a final e after i_ (like, bike, kite etc.) or igh after a consonant (fight, might. light).  We also read the final y as a long i when it is in a monosyllabic word (my. try. fly).  I hope it helps.

21 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

English is silly because it has been corrupted by many other languages. If it was pure it would be much easier.

21 Aug 2009     

monicap_87
El Salvador

Spagman you should read a bit more about linguistics... there is no such thing as �pure languages �. ALL languages have been �mixed � with others in a higher or lower scale. 

21 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Mnicap,
You should read my post better.
I said �If it was pure it would be much easier �.  I NEVER said it IS pure.

21 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Dear members, S�rgio was sent a private mail earlier and will be helped privately, as he requested. Thank you. My best regards.

21 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Perhaps you should devote some time to the study of phonetics.

It is not that simple.
As it was said before, there are rules, but there are many exceptions as well.

When in doubt about the pronunciation of some word, you always have the pronunciation dictionaries online, some include Am and Br English.

21 Aug 2009