Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > The school year in your country    

The school year in your country

Sara26
Brazil

The school year in your country

Hello dear teachers,

A couple of weeks ago we had a lesson about the school year in the US (there is a whole lesson about that in our English book). My pupils got surprised to know how the school year works there, and specially how much time the students spend at school.

In Brazil, the school year starts in the first weeks of February. In July we have winter holiday (2-3 weeks), and then the classes go till the end of November/beginning of December, when the classes are over. Then the summer vacation start (December to February).
They have classes in the morning or in the afternoon. At public schools, high school students can also have classes in the evening.

How does it work in your country?
(Brazilian teachers: I would also appreciate your comments, since I no longer teach in regular schools) 

Hugs,
Sara

22 Aug 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

hi sara. In Argentina the school system is similar to yours. We used to begin classes in the first weeks of March but now the government has said that we are going to start earlier than that. We also have a two-week winter break but this year was an exceptional three-winter holidays because of the swine flu prevention measures. Classes usually atart at 7:30/8:00 to 12:00/1:00p.m for the morning shift and 1:30/2:00 p.m to 6:00/7:00 in the afternoon one. Classes that are run in the evening go from about 7:00 to almost midnight.

We also have some evening school shifts in both elementary and high school levels, mainly for adults who are back to school.

i forgot to tell you that there are some  double-shift-run private schools. Most of them have a bilingual system: regular native-language classes in the morning and similar content classes in the target foreign language (English, German, Italian, etc) in the afternoon.

22 Aug 2009     

Anutka
Russian Federation

Here in Russia it �s quite different. We start in Srptember, up to June. We have autumn holidays (a week) in November, winter holidays (in January(14 days), summer holidays are the longest -three months. Our pupils have lessons from 8 to 13, or 13 to 18б at secondary schools. High school students study from 9 to 5, or 12 to 18. it differs.

22 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

In Quebec, the schoolyear is about 10 months. A schoolyear is around 180 days for kids and 200 for teachers. In my schoolboard, we have 183 days of school in case we have to cancel a day because of bad weather (snowstorms, cold).
School year starts end of August, early September and ends on June23rd for kids and June 3th for teachers We have a 2-week break at Christmas time, a week break in the beginning of March. On the other holidays, we usually have a long weekend (Easter, Thanksgiving and one more in May). During the schoolyear, kids have days off for pedagogical days. On those days, teachers are either in meetings or in trainings.
Elementary is divided in 3 cycles: grade 1-2 (cycle 1), grade 3-4 (cycle 2) and grade 5-6 (cycle 3)  
Secondary is divided in 2 cycles: secondary 1-2 (cycle 1) and secondary 3-4-5 (cycle 3).
At the end of secondary, around 16 years old, students can choose to go to college (called C�GEP), then university.

Elementary and secondary students do not go to night school. The only way a secondary students would go to a night school is if he/she entered an adult program.

22 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Hong Kong sounds a lot like Quebec but I imagine both are built upon the British system.  It �s pretty much the same here except we get a TON of national holidays.We also get days off for typhoons. :)  School here is generally from early Sept until early to mid July. The kids here don �t get much of a summer break.

22 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

Here - Junior High/Middle School   Sept. 1st - June 20th

22 Aug 2009     

chalco
France

In France, the schoolyear starts early in September and finishes at the end of June. We have a 10-day break at the end of October, a two-week break for Xmas, another two weeks in February and two weeks off again in April ... and we also get a couple of bank holidays ... that �s why some people here say we teachers are always on vacation Thumbs Down .
As for the school day, French pupils start around 8 in the morning and don �t finish before 5 (or even 6 when they are in High School) with a 1-hour to 2-hour lunch break, which means 6 periods a day for elementary, 7 or 8 periods a day for secondary.
French kids usually go to kindergarten from the age of 3 and enter elementary at the age of 6. They spend 5 years in elementary and then go to secondary which is divided into "coll�ge" and "lyc�e" : they spend 4 years in "coll�ge" (from the age of 11 to the age of 15) and 3 years in "lyc�e" at the end of which they sit their "baccalaur�at" (which is the final exam for secondary).
After that they have a wide range of different things to choose upon including university.

22 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Sara
In Greece the school year starts on the 1st September ( 11th for students) and ends on 30th June (around 20th for students). At Christmas we �ve got two weeks holidays and at Easter another two weeks.
Classes start at 8.15 in the morning and usually finish at 1.30 or 2.00 in the afternoon. In some cases, especially in big cities, when there aren �t enough classrooms, we have alternate morning and afternoon classes.
Hugs
serene 

edit: Kindergarten (2 years), primary school at the age of 6 (6 years), lower secondary school / junior high school (3 years), upper secondary school (3 years), university entrance exams 

22 Aug 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Great topic. I �ve always been very curious about that too.
Well in Portugal, school starts in the beginning of September and ends in June/July.
We have some small breaks at Christmas, Carnival, Easter, .... all those celebrations. Summer holidays start in June. So, Ss usually have 2/3 months holidays.

Our school year is divided into 3 terms. The 1st goes from Sept. to December. Then we have Xmas. The 2nd term goes from January to March. The 3rd term is the last and goes from March/April to June.

We (fortunately) don �t have many problems with natural disasters, so we don �t have days off for that. Only for the celebrations I mentioned before.

About the different stages at school:
1st cycle - 1st graders,2nd graders,3rd graders,4th graders - from 6 years old to 10/11
2nd cycle - 5th graders, 6th graders - from 10/11years old to 12/13
3rd cycle - 7th, 8th, 9th graders - from 13/14 years old to 16
Secondary school - 10th, 11th, 12th graders - from 16 years old up to 17/18....
University - 18 up to .................. (whenever they finish itSmile

22 Aug 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Very interesting.
In the Czech Republic we�ve got similar system as in Greece. We start on the 1st September and end on the 30th June. We�ve also got about 2 weeks Christmas holidays, 2 days autumn holiday in October, 1 week spring holidays (February or March - it varies by the area) and 2 days Easter holidays. The main - summer holidays last 2 month (June, August). This is common for all grades except University students.
The school starts at 8 o �clock and finishes between 11.40 and 15.30 - it depends on the grade but older children have more lessons.
Children can start a kindergarten at the age of 3, but they don �t have to go there - it is not required.
Generally children here have to start primary school at the age of 6 (in some cases they are allowed to postpone till 7, eg.if they are not enough mature...).
Primary school 6 - 11 years; junior elementary school 12 - 15 y; 15-19 secondary modern school, then might follow University or going to work.

Have a nice day

Michaela

22 Aug 2009     

alexa09
Argentina

How interesting !!!! I �ve read them all, I �ll work with them with my students, very interesting indeed. I �ve always wanted to know. Very well explained by my colleague Damielle!!

22 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >