Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > I need help    

I need help

brjp
Turkey

I need help

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but I liked it a lot. I liked almost all the ideas, links you shared, thank you for all of them.

I have a question concerning my two private, elementary students. They are 11 years old. They know basic vocabulary and some grammar points.

We are going to start studying next week. Their parents want them to SPEAK English so my focus is to be on this issue.

I am looking for a book, a site focusing on this. I may prepare a course pack for them as well, including speaking activities but I don �t know how to start or organize my opinions!

What are your suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Burcu.

24 Aug 2009      

miss K.
Ukraine

Hi. You know your aim for teaching. That �s very important in teaching as you know where you want to take your students to. You may want to develop long term (for a year) and short term goals (for a month/weel/lesson) for your students. Try not to include too much. Remeber that you planned may be slightly altered during the actual lesson. Ten try to fill your planning �skeleton � with �meat � - activites that will help you to reach your goal. This site had vatious speaking cards and board games that help with speaking. Also check out for tips and ideas British Council and Language Assistant sites. Try www.englishbanana.com this sites has materails that help to organise a language teaching school and they have varoius materials for teachers ans kids to download. They have a  sheet for lesson planning there for elementary students there.

24 Aug 2009     

brjp
Turkey

miss K.;
thanks for your ideas.
i will consider them while filling the skeleton with meat ;)

24 Aug 2009     

silvia09
Albania

Hi brcep05,

A good book for your objective is "Helping Students to Speak" by Ricky Lowes and Francesca Target from Richmond Publishing.  I highly recommend it.

Regards,
Silvia 09

24 Aug 2009     

brjp
Turkey

silvia09,
I will try to find the book you mentioned.

thank you so much :)

Burcu.

24 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Burcu,
I have been using picture descriptions. It really gets the kids talking and shows you where they are weak in grammar.  I use prompts like: Tell me what you see.  How many people are there? What are they doing? etc.  You can get some free Starters/Movers/Flyers tests from the British Council site.  The pictures are in them. GL

24 Aug 2009     

brjp
Turkey

Spagman63,

i will check the site for the pictures immediately.

Thank you :)

24 Aug 2009