Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > So I have this advanced class right.......    

So I have this advanced class right.......

Jayho
Australia

Sounds like a great debate - those kinds of discussions are so educational for everyone - my eyes are continually being opened by what my students bring to the discussions

24 Aug 2009     

rnrlisa
United States

Hi Matthew,
Welcome to the world of teaching! All above are certainly correct and the only thing I would emphasize is STRUCTURED conversation activities.  In any ESL training program it is stated that language production is the essence of language instruction and vital to successful language acquisition, so don �t feel you �re being a pushover:-)  Games, role-plays, and debates are great.  Games such as Taboo force students to describe vocabulary and use their language skills.  Putting up a picture and having students describe what they see is also a very simple task.  You can require use of certain tenses or more complex vocabulary, as well to increase difficulty.  Pronunciation activities are also valuable.  Another great game for vocab and pronunciation is Last Man Standing. Have students form a circle while standing.  State a topic, for example past participles or ocean vocab, and students (one at a time) must say one example to stay in the circle.  Once a student runs out of ideas, they must sit down and the student that has continued to think of words, i.e. is the last man standing, wins. Google is able to guide you well and simply do some searches on above mentioned ideas or find new ones.
Hopefully, you have some sort of text to work with and have access to a guide with additional activities and perhaps a website with more resources.
Of course, there is a multitude of conversation activities on this site and games that spur conversation.
Have fun:-)!

24 Aug 2009     

Miss Paulaey
Argentina

Hi Mat! from Argentina

I agree with all the advice you were given but I �d like to add my little contribution according to my own experience. I often use movies in my conversation class since they give you authentic material to work with. In films you find:
*different accents (according to nationality or social background)
*cultural issues
*characters (personalities and appearances to be described, to be compared, and so on)
*setting
*songs in the soundtrack
You can also do a activities with film-related material like movie reviews that you can get in the internet : You make sts work in pairs and give a different review to each of them. Then you give out a set of questions to be answered after reading their review.

Review 1

Review 2

Question 1
Question 2
Question 3
 You can give them as many questions as you want. Once each st finishes answering his/her questions by filling in their own column, they should ask their partner about his/her review in order to fill in the second column.
You can also work with songs which are topic related to the film you �re working with. For example, at present I �m working with the film "Freedom Writers" which deals with the topic of intolerance, racism and gangs; so we also worked with the songs "Where �s the Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas and " Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson.

I think you �ve been working with the death penalty topic, haven �t you? You could use the film "Death Man Walking" with Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon. I know it �s and excellent film.

Although my students and I are all native Spanish speakers and you have a richer cultural background where you teach, I hope you find useful my piece of advice.

Good luck!

Paula

24 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2