Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past Perfect or Past Simple ? - Please help .....    

Past Perfect or Past Simple ? - Please help .....

sigal birka
Israel

Past Perfect or Past Simple ? - Please help .....

What  is  the  correct  way  to  say - a  or  b: 

a)  As  soon  as  i    h a d    s ee n  this  dress   i  knew  that  i  would  buy  it . 

OR    

b) As  soon as i   s a w   this  dress  i  knew  that  i  would  buy  it .     ?

i know that  this is correct: as soon as the cops had caught him,they arrested him. 

but  in my grammar book  only (b)  was right.   Maybe  both  forms  are  ok?

PLEASE  -   I �D BE MOST THANKFUL FOR YOUR KIND ANSWER...    SEAGULL

24 Aug 2009      

vickyvar
Greece

Hello,
as fas as I know only the second sentence is correct: as soon as sth happened = when / after sth happened.
BUT: No sooner had I opened the door than the phone began to ring.

24 Aug 2009     

matteunsun
United Kingdom

They �re both acceptable,  but the meaning is a little different.  In a) there is a sequence: you saw the dress and THEN knew you would buy it.  In b) the two actions (seeing and knowing) occur concurrently...
Hope it helps

24 Aug 2009     

sigal birka
Israel

I   AM   VERY  VERY  GRATEFUL  FOR  YOUR  (quick and clear) ANSWER  !! 

I  suspected it but i wasn �t  sure.

Many  Many  Thanks   :)

24 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I disagree. I think there is a sequence in both. Albeit, they are very close together in time. Simple past or past perfect is really up to the writer/speaker. Simple past is used for a past event that doesn �t state the exact time.  This is probably the better choice.

24 Aug 2009     

domnitza
Romania

I would use past Perfect Simple in order to express anteriority: first I saw, then I knew. So the correct sentence should be: As soon as I had seen .....I knew.

The only exception I know is with AFTER: After I saw .... I knew, because as far as I know AFTER implies anteriority, so no need to use Past Simple.

24 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

May be this can make things more clear: