Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > COULD YOU GIVE ME A HAND?    

COULD YOU GIVE ME A HAND?

exiliser
Turkey

COULD YOU GIVE ME A HAND?

Hi dear teachers from all over the world. I need help especially from those who are experienced in giving lessons to small groups of students, or in giving private lessons.

I managed to get a job at a language school, and what Im supposed to do here is to compensate the students missing courses. They find it less fun to have a lesson alone or in a pair. So what can I do to make them more interested, I would appreciate any idea or any material that I can use. Thans in advance!!

25 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Well, I don �t know what knowledge level or age they are, but whether I teach small groups or large, using all sorts of word games always helps, as well as motivating and funny reading texts. You can find lots of materials at this site - just use the search engine. If you can use a dvd player, that also helps, but it �s not necessary. It �s important to be well prepared, to have a good angle on the lesson (sth intriguing or funny) and to never ever underestimate your sts - always give them challenging materials which are only just a bit too difficult to learn, always give them sth to take home with (and I don �t necessarily mean homeworks, but some knowledge) and never give them everything they want, but keep them �hungry � for more. That �s my rule and I rarely have sts missing my lessons - they always have at least one game per lesson, I try to keep it interesting and challenging and they love all kinds of competitions (word games played in groups or pairs). And the results are great. Good luck!
Anita

25 Aug 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

My students& small groups enjoy ppt games from this site.

25 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

It depends on their age.

Younger students love games and action songs, teens  like games but also songs and everything connected with their world of interest, older teens and young adults become interested in learning new things about life and the world while studying English and facing challenging situations and adults love to know what they will learn each class.

Setting objectives for each class and carry them out in an interesting way makes time fly and  leaves them wishing for more...

25 Aug 2009     

robertohm
Spain

I think all these ideas are great , however I feel the most important thing is to know Why they are in your class If they fail all their exams at schooll they will need strong help so I would work in their specific problems. If they like english and they want to improve all advices given are great. I said this because many times small groups are with students with many problems to be resolved in this cases students are not very happy with games because they cannot participate in a proper way.
I hope to help youClap

25 Aug 2009