Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Bill Gates ´ rules for success in life     

Bill Gates ´ rules for success in life

elderberrywine
Germany

Bill Gates ´ rules for success in life

I know we ´re not supposed to advertise other people ´s worksheets here, leave alone our own.
But I came across something that is really full of wisdom concerning school.
It ´s a worksheet quoting Bill Gates ´ 11 rules given to students in California - it ´s about success in life, in school, and about growing up, I guess.
Please don ´t see this as advertising. It ´s about teaching and I hope you won ´t be writing me aggressive private messages for not respecting the rules.
You ´ll find the ws here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=274831&modo=comment#comments

And I ´m just quoting some of the rules here:

If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He won’t have any patience to teach  you.

Your school may have finished with the concept of winners and losers but life has not. In some  schools they have abolished failing marks and they ´ll give you as many times as you want to pass  your exams. This doesn ´t have the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Life is not divided into semesters. You don ´t get summers off and very few  employers are interested in  helping  you find yourself. Do that on your own free time.

Before you were born, your parents weren ´t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your  bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to  you talk about how cool you are. So, before you save the forest from the parasites of your parents ´ generation, try delousing  your  own room

25 Aug 2009      

luisaluisa
Brazil

Once I imagine you are talking about one of my ppt presentations, let me add something. And before I add it, let me make it very clear that I am not asking you to download this presentation. If you google Bill Gates speech teeangers California, you will easily find it. And if you want the text I can send it  to you. Just pm me and I will be glad to send it to your personal email address, with no points for me. First, this was not written by Bill Gates. I think it is just one of the legends that go around the Internet. In fact these rules were put forth by Charles Sykes in his book Dumbing Down our Kids. My fourteen-year-old son has it printed and pinned to the wall in his bedroom in such a way that it is the first thing he sees when he wakes up in the morning. It is a wonderful input for conversation especially for teenagers who in a great majority still think that the world owes them something while their greatest contribution to life is playing games in their computers and complaining that dinner is not ready yet.

25 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

no, I wasn ´t talking about your ws.

25 Aug 2009     

luisaluisa
Brazil

I apologize for my mistake. I take back what I said in the first four or five lines and I keep what I said in the last lines.

25 Aug 2009     

sergio1974
Spain

The ideas coming from the text are really interesting and absolutely true.
The only snag I find is the messenger: I don ´t think Bill Gates, who has had several cases judged in court, is the best example for any ss to follow suit...

Thanx anyway for this great wsheet

;)

29 Aug 2009     

epit
Turkey

thanks

1 Sep 2009