Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Back to school    

Back to school

szamoca
Hungary

Back to school

Hello my Friends!
I feel really blue. During our first meeting at school turned out that I can �t make photocopies at all not even tests because the school is short of money.I �m really sad because I can �t use your wonderful WSs collected here.I wanted to bring something new with these WSs in my teaching and now I have to rely on the coursbook only. I know that teaching works without photocopies but it would be so nice to  practice with all those WS. I have already got a few ideas on how to suply the book with extra material (transparency,powerpoints ) but still I will really miss the photocopies. Well I couldn �t tell anybody but you.Thanks. szamoca

25 Aug 2009      

Caroline565
Australia

Hi Szamoca
I understand about your problem. What I used to do while I worked in a poorly funded school, was that I put the worksheets in  plastic foil and gave them out to the students in groups. They wrote the answers in their notebooks. I sometimes asked them to copy some of the sentences, usually the ones where they had made mistakes, so that they had the examples in their notebooks as well. But most often I would ask them to write down their OWN examples after they had done the practice. I would then take the same worksheets to another class and again have them for the next year. It �s an eco-friendly money-saving way.Smile

25 Aug 2009     

Anutka
Russian Federation

You may show some ws using projector.

25 Aug 2009     

ameliarator
United States

What a pain! �I worked in a school once where we had to collect 15 cents from every student if we wanted to make a photocopy. �In a class of 50 students, that just wasn �t practical! �It ended up being a lot more work for me, but I used the worksheets I found as inspiration and wrote the practices up on the board.�

�If you �re willing to spend a little of your own money, you can still use all the great games on here, since they can be used over and over instead of printed for each student.
Good luck!

26 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Szamoca

I see that as a positive and an amazing opportunity for you to refine your teaching skills.

Today, teachers rely heavily on written materials such as books and endless worksheets.  Written materials are not the be all and end all because there are oodles of other ways to teach and practice the concepts. "Once apon a time" teachers had very little at their disposal and had to use other means.  Also, consider the army of volunteer teachers in the underdeveloped countries - they do not have the same resources as we do. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

So, search the internet, this site, your school reference library, your local public/uni library for good ideas on how to teach without written materials.  The world is your oyster!!

Enjoy the challenge.

Jayho

26 Aug 2009