Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Using number expressions    

Using number expressions

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Using number expressions

Hey guys,

I kinda need some help here...

First of all consider the sentence:
    A TV set that costs two hundred dollars.

Should it be written:
    A two-hundred dollar TV set.
or
    A two-hundred-dollar TV set?

I need help finding explanation and exercises about this grammar topic but I really don �t recall any other way to call this except Compound Modifiers.

I have searched eslprintables for ws on Compound Modifiers but haven �t found anything. What �s the other way this topic might have been refered to?

Thanks in advance,

Julia

26 Aug 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

For me:

A two-hundred-dollar TV set

A twelve-year-old girl.

A ten-ton lorry.

....in only one word -always singular- as it is acting as a "compound adjective".

26 Aug 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi julia! According to the rule, singular forms are used as modifiers before nouns in plural measuring expressions: a five-pound note;   six two-hour lessons; a three-month-old baby  (Michael Swan, Practical English Usage), so the second sentence should be the correct one: "a two-hundred-dollar TV set."

Have a good night.
mena

26 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Julia
You might find these helpful:
Hugs
serene

26 Aug 2009     

marwan380
Yemen

dea one:

I think the second sentence is the correct . this is a compound adjective, and in compound adjective all the words should be hyphened.

I wii give an example.

I have seen a horse-mouthed girl.

o.k?

26 Aug 2009     

juliamontenegro
Brazil

As the first sentence is "the sentence" on the sts text book, is there a possibility two-hundred is modifying the word dollar? I kind of don�t see a lot of change in the sentence as I�ve seen in some book examples.

By the way, thank you all so much and serene, I�ll check those links right away. :)

26 Aug 2009