Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Visiting London    

Visiting London

mariannina
Italy

Visiting London

Heeelp dear friends! My principal asked me to prepare a school trip to London for a group pf 12/14-year-old students! I �m lost! I know London and surroundings very well, but taking there teen agers is something different!
Would you be so kind and help me? I know that many of you have had the experience, do you mind suggesting me a 6 day tour?
I �d like to include Bath, Stonehenge, Stratford on Avon and Cambridge. Too much?
What do you think? And what about discos for the evenings? I really don �t know where they are and which ones are the best and less expensive of all.
Thank you so much and I really hope in your help Unhappy
(I �m getting ready to go to the discos!)

26 Aug 2009      

eng789
Israel

You lucky chick.  Buggie on.

26 Aug 2009     

Sally_Star
Portugal

Well, I �ve never took students on a trip to London, so I don �t know how to organise it.
But I can tell you that last time I was there (2005) I took a Bus Tour for a day that went to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. It was quite cool, money-saving and plus we had time enough in each place to visit it. If you look for those tours you might find some interesting routes.
Also, when I went there as a student, I was about 15, our teachers took us in London to visit Madame Tussauds, Tower of London, Natural History Museum, St. James Park, Tower Bridge, and at night we �ve seen a musical and went to the bowling. We also visited Canterbury and Leeds castle.
These are just some suggestions, hope it can help, if you need something more specific, just let me know.

26 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

You should go for a ride in the London Eye! I am sure no teenager would resist the thrill of it!

26 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Mariannina,
I �ve only taken adults to visit London...did find it very expensive.
We went to see the Phantom of the Opera...it was magical and my adults really enjoyed the cultural side of life in London.
We went on a bus tour of London...most of the suggestions above sound great!!

If your trip is a success...I �d like to know more as I have promised some of my teens a trip to England.
Wishing you the very best of luck!!Thumbs Up
Fiona.

26 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks a lot. Well, I know London very well because I go there every year and as often as I can, but I don �t know how to organize trips outside  London. What Sally told me about the bus is a new piece of information to me, I didn �t know. Is the bus a Green line one or something they have in Summer?
Any idea will help me. Thank you again.

26 Aug 2009     

discretissime
France

Is there a way for you to get into contact with a tour operator specialized in school trips abroad? Every time I and my colleagues take kids on a trip to England, that �s what we do. They have a wide choice of destinations and they take care of everything: the bus, the accomodation (students stay with English families), the visits... you just have to choose where you want to go and pay... of course!

26 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi discretissime, yes we �ll do it for prices and tickets, but what my principal asked me was to give a first idea and I thought of you! Many of you have already experienced a visit to England and I �m looking for suggestions that come from those experiences. Merci Big smile

26 Aug 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

I have already taken teenagers to London several times and the usual tour is to visit Madame Tussauds because it is very nice and kids have that little train trip inside the museum which is always amusing. We also go to London Eye and we visit Covent Garden market because they can always buy nice bargains there.
I wouldn �t advise you to go to discos, caf�s or pubs because they will not be allowed to go inside, there are always security guards asking for the Ids and they don �t allow people under 21 to go in!
So, to have a bunch of kids behind you it is almost impossible to leave them and go to discos or pubs at night.
We usually watch a musical as part of the programme and go to a street market but in this case it is a bit complicated because of the crowds and pickpockets. Beware and warn them if you go to a street market (Camden Lock or Portobello Road).
You could also visit Harrods but they don �t allow entrance of groups (more than 5) in each door, so perhaps you will lose control if your students are too young.
Sightseeing tours by bus are nice and you can see the city around.
I think Strattford, Cambridge and and Stonehenge are too much in my opinion.
Don �t forget Natural History Museum (very nice for young kids)!

Hope this will be helpful
best wishes

26 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The best trips I �ve taken to London were with my 9th graders!
But we were in London the whole week. There are lots of things to do.
Send me your email address in a PM and I �ll send you our itinerary.

Your kids are too young for a disco - and there have been lots of
knife crimes connected with these places - so I would keep far away if
I were you - because in the end it is your responsibility for the welfare of these children.

Send me a PM and I �ll send you what I have.
I �ve been there at least 10 times with kids - and it is a blast! (but hard work)
and don �t forget to book tickets in good time for a musical.

L

26 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Oh, I �d keep them in museums all day long Smile but I think they wouldn �t like it! Sleepy
I said disco, but anything else will do!
Manuela I don �t like Harrods frankly speaking, but children know it and ask for it. I �m determined not to take them there!
Thank you for your suggestions, little by little I �m making up my mind. Thank you so much!

26 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >