Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > American Studies!!!    

American Studies!!!

mylena87
Brazil

American Studies!!!

Here I am once more!!!
Well, I�d like to clarify sth in my mind!!!
Until know I can�t understand very well how is the school evolution....
let me try to explain it better.
They have __________ (i dont�remember the name) for the children starting to study, than it comes the elementary course, high school, graduation and.... (phd, master, etc) 
and what about the subdivision, for example... in high school i have 1st, 2nd and 4rd year?? is it right? and what about the others??
thanks for helping

29 Oct 2008      

Anna P
Brazil

In US some kids (3-4 year olds) begin in Preschool but most begin in Kindergarten (5 year olds).  Then there is Lower School (Grades 1 through 4 or 5, I am not sure), Middle School (up to Grade 8) and High School.  In High School there is no 1st or 2nd year - Grade 9 is the Freshman year, Grade 10 is Sophmore, Grade 11 is Junior and Grade 12 is the Senior year.  Then it�s college for a bachelor�s degree, followed by postgraduate Master�s degree and then a doctorate (PHD).

But I�m also Brazilian.  Maybe an American could explain better.

30 Oct 2008     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I live in Brazil too but I�m not Brazilian. I�ve lived in the US for 5 years, and I have many relatives there. There is the kindergarten, from 4-6 years old. After that, the elementary school or primary school from 1st. to 4th grade. Then, middle school or junior high school - from 5th to 8th grade. Finally, high school from 9th to 12th grade. You can go to a Junior college (you can compare to a technical school or its credits or classes can be used for College or University. The difference between a College and a University is that a University does research and the College doesn�t.

30 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Hi, Mylena87!

I made this worksheet about the British and American school systems. I don�t know if it can help:

Frenchfrog

30 Oct 2008