Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Young students...real young    

Young students...real young

miarish
Portugal

Young students...real young

Dear teachers,

Once again I come to you asking for some guidance. This year I �m going to teach young students. When I say young students, well... they �re really young, because I �m talking about kids with 5-6 years old. These are the kind of students that are going to learn how to write in portuguese this year and I �m going to be their teacher. My question is: some tips? Embarrassed Please???
I mean, I �ve been looking the WS that could be interesting to this ages, but the truth is that almost every ws that say that is good for 5-6 students are too complicated, envolving reading and other skills that I know my students don �t have yet....
So, I �m really open for suggestions, ws, etc...

Thanks

Miarish

27 Aug 2009      

miarish
Portugal

I was reading the post and I think I made a mistake... I �m going to be their Englisg teacher!

27 Aug 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

Hello Miarish,
for students with those characteristics I �d go for light activities based on games and songs.
There �s also a very good video for those ages called "Muzzy in Gondoland" and "Muzzy comes back", The first one deals with the very basics and has been sold by Planeta Agostini, I guess. The story is about an alien that falls in a kingdom called Gondoland.

27 Aug 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

check your pm, pls

27 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

Use my worksheets! lol they �re for young kids. Try to do lots of cutting and pasting exercises, because they need to practice their fine motor skills.

27 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �ve worked with such kids for over 15 years and they �re a treasure, trust me! You need to use lots of flashcards, wordcards (use capital letters in colours, they memorize writing as an image), small toys (e. g. if you have small animal toys, put them in a little black box or bag, and have them pull the figures out with eyes closed and guess the animal in English), lots of movement (TPR stories are available everywhere), songs, rhymes, nursery rhymes, fingerplays, and you can google them all very easily - just type in preschool rhymes or fingerplays, and you �ll see. There are also wonderful courses for them such as Zig Zag Island/Magic, Balloons, Cookie and Friends, Super Me, and lots of similar ones by Oxford, Cambridge and Longman. It �s all about playing language games... You can find lots of worksheets here as well, as well as stories, ppts, printable stickers, certificates. You have to play language with them, not teach them. No traditional bench system . sit on the carpet and have them join you in a cricle, teach them a dance... As for topics, you �ll see - it �s always our body, numbers, colours, family, animals, food, etc. It �s such a pleasure once you find your teaching voice in this method - you �ll be amazed at how much, how easily and how fast they learn... Enjoy them!
Anita

27 Aug 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi!

I know how difficult it can get when you want to teach something to students who don �t write (yet). I suggest the use of flashcards and pictures, colouring some cards, memory games, rhymes and very easy songs (www.the-bus-stop.net - songs that you can listen to, directly from your computer, teacher �s notes and lyrics altogether).

Hope that wil help you. Good luck! Thumbs Up
kissesSmile

27 Aug 2009     

poleta
Spain

Children from 3 to 6 love playing movement games, songs and stories.You �ll need to change from one activity to another every 10 or 15 minutes  because they have a short attention

Some ideas

http://www.supersimplesongs.com/  The best songs for young learners

If need more help  send me an e mail

27 Aug 2009