Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > don īt follow the glamour..    

don īt follow the glamour..

Mouna mch
Algeria

don īt follow the glamour..

hi everybody,

i īm new here.. actually my first day..1st it īs an invitation to see my worksheets..
2nd i noticed that everybody here follow the glamour!!! if the worksheet is colourfull and bright you just downlaod it even if not that interesting!

it is unfair.. good ideas don īt need that much ad! i īm not talking about my work only.. but personlly i don īt have enough time to decorate my workshhets but i have enough time to think hard about them...

what do you think?

27 Aug 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Do you know the answer to why the package sells a product?

I personally very rarely download, and when i do, i look for ideas which will make my students think imaginatively, rather than logically. It īs because i think they īve had enough of logic in all the other subjects and in life in general.
Anyway, the reason a lot of members choose to make colourful and picturesque worksheets is because they have their and our students in mind, the students who rather react to glitter and shine than to black and white.

If you really want to share good ideas, you can use the forum at times, just like i do, and then upload it for future members ... Thumbs Up Ahhh, i don īt know. I stopped fretting about it a long time ago. It would have thwarted my brimming creativity. Hug

27 Aug 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Welcome! I īm sure you īre gonna love this site.

Most of the colourfull WSS you īre talking about, are created to be used with YL ss. These students need to be stimulated so pics are used.  Young kids REALLY need them. Something great about these WSS is that, usually, they are uploaded with their B&W version.

So, telling we download WSS just because of their pics and bright and not coz they are interesting doesn īt seem to be fair. But, as you said, you are new and I īm sure you īll see that I īm right, you just need some time.

Lots of good WSS with no pics are uploaded and downloaded, if they are good enough so, show us your good work and we īll download it for sure ;=)

And that īs all... no, wait... you are new so you don īt know we are not supposed to advertise our own work. But, you didn īt know that so no probs at all.

Enjoy your membership!

Olga

27 Aug 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

i īm not saying that full of pic is not valualble.. so don īt translate things your way!!
me myself was really attracted to those at first but a lot of pic may be good for young learners... mine are not so i need more sofisticated ideas that i usually find in no pic ws
and again good ideas don īt need decoration

27 Aug 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

you people got it so personal.. and it īs not fun to make fun of people.. you don īt know me to make any judjments.. i īm wondering are you really a teacher? and you tolerate your learners backgrounds and ideas?

add that i īm not making ad.. i īm introducing myself that īs all

27 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

fact of the matter is we create colourful and creative and what you call īglam � ws to keep our students captivated and interested - often the pics around the border are used in part of the activity - "match the pictures to the phrase" OR at least provides a visual stimulant.  Younger learners may want to colour in their pictures,or  use the pics  as a resource for creating projects and their own little worksheets.  Yes, some of us do spend more of our (spare) time creating colourful and īglam � WS, but consider for a moment that WE enjoy making them, and we enjoy sharing them.  

Creating them doesn īt really take long once you get the knack of it.

I īll definately look out for your ws.  I don īt just download any old ws - the content needs to really grab me before I give it to a student.  For the record, I īve often downloaded GOOD CONTENT and found all the pictures to be too frilly and īgirly � for my advanced class - who are all in their 20 īs.  I delete the pictures shamelessly!

Happy WS making!!  And welcome to a GREAT SITE!!

M  

27 Aug 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

no this is faire enough.. i do work with visual aids all the time.. and i have already said that i īm as attracted to nice pictures as my learners are.. my point is that you might oversee a nice ws or lesson plan because it is a īplain � one...

27 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Hahah:)  No...I don īt think ANY good ws will get overlooked here.  You īll find on this website and in this blogpost spot that when we come across a good resource (on this site or any other website) WE SHARE THE NEWS WITH EVERYONE:)  Go have a look through past posts and you īll see what I mean.  The people here are always ready to help and very happy to offer advice (hahah spagman64/63? - sorry pvt joke) and support!

Again, WELCOME TO THE SITE:) We KNOW you īre going to love it!

Must say, I īve only been on here a little while and WHENEVER I need advice on teaching/resources or ANYTHING related to the job THIS IS THE FIRST PLACE I COME and THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I ASK!  And I īm ALWAYS satisfied/encouraged/put-to-ease.  Everytime.  You īll soon see for yourself:)

27 Aug 2009     

fulyakemal
Turkey

hi

ı īm fulya. ı have been using this site for 2 weeks now and love it a lot. thanks for sharing your materials..and please download my material ı need points:))) ıam kidding but when ıam a bit free, ı will download amazing things ı hope...

27 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I can understand mouna very well.
For me, a large amount of worksheets here are simple OVERKILL in colours and pictures.
I have stopped looking at the colourful worksheets with hundreds of pictures and hundreds of downloads - they resemble each other and there is far too much distraction in them or not enough "real work".
Putting a sentence into a certain tense or adding a preposition is what my students do, too, but they would be shocked if I asked them to then match the sentence with a picture - and they would feel I underestimated their capacities.
No frills, elves, frames, decorations for me, I spend a lot of time taking colour and little pictures out of worksheets I find here.
But tastes are very different, teaching styles are very different. People here are crazy about that sort of thing, let them have it. I, too, watch out for plain worksheets that look like "real work" here. Worksheets that leave room for students � creativity, for discussion, for ideas etc.

Before I upload my own worksheets here I pimp them with colour and effects that I would never use myself because I know they would have no chance of being downloaded otherwise.

So don īt criticize mouna, I think she has a right to state her point. She īll find out which other teachers tick like she does and watch out for their worksheets, while compromising on the ones she uploads, because she does want to get points after all.
Welcome, mouna, it īs a great place here.
Dorothea

27 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Mouna, welcome. I don īt think that the more worksheets are coloured and decorated the more they are downloaded. Yes, it īs true that a lot of teachers are very gifted here, they have a special touch that makes their work "charming", but it is not appearance only, the content is presented in an agreeable way! I īm not a talented "artist" and I upload what I really do for my students (and because I don īt want to be a taker!), with my great surprise there īs always someone who downloads them! Why? I think because in that moment this someone needs that topic, decorations or not, colours or not.
Don īt worry too much and, please, don īt think we make fun of you, we are a huge community and now we are used to many different ways of "speaking styles", but we never make fun of somebody. So stay with us and you īll see it by yourself!
Cheers.
Mariannina

27 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >