Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > THE DATE    

THE DATE

debbiem
Israel

THE DATE

Hello,
A question to EFL/ESL teaschers:

Do you always write the date on the board?

I know that there are many ways to write the date on the board which way do you use? Can you show me? Do you write it differently according to the level of the class (elementary, junior high and high school)?

Thanks,
Debbie

29 Aug 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I ask my students to do it. That �s my way of teaching days of the week. I ask them the date, yesterday �s date and tomorrow �s date.

29 Aug 2009     

anahutten
Canada

Yes I ask my students what day it is and write the date  e.i.  Saturday, Aug. 29th 2009 making sure they pronounce the number as an ordinal. Then we talk about the weather, because here in Canada that �s what people talk about every day!

29 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I, as manonski and anahutten, ask the ss to write it on the board in it �s complete form though there has often been a volunteer ss to do it spontanously.
But this year I intend to make them write it in a paragraph form (2 to 3 lines). It �s a way to get them used to written expression. And it will be a way to get a little bit off the beaten paths.

29 Aug 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

I ask sts about the day and the date every class.
I like Anahutten �s way to ask them about the weather.

29 Aug 2009     

lilian.dg
Argentina

Hello, I alwlays write the long form of the day on the bord and placed it on the right. It helps my students to recognize the name of the days and the name of the months because of the repetition on writing them, and also the cardinal numbers and their endings.
I also write the topic. It doesn�t matter which of the four skills are we working on, because it also helps them and the headmistress to know what are we doing in class.
Best regards.
Thumbs Up

29 Aug 2009     

alexa09
Argentina

I agree with my country colleague. Write everything you are going to do on the board so ssts write it in their copybooks. I write only the date in the british way (fisrst the ordinal number  and then the month) and then whether we �re going to work with the book or activity book and kind of ex (listening, oral work, practice, revision ) I think e-thing should be written for ssts, parents, headmistress to know. It is also a way to be organised and besides ssts get used to following certain patterns which is necessary esp in the english subject.

29 Aug 2009     

isaserra
Portugal

Now that you are talking about dates, I was wondering which of the following examples is correct or if they both are:

Saturday, 29th August 2009

or

Saturday, 29th of August 2009

Hugs,
Isabel 

29 Aug 2009