Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear collegues!!!    

Dear collegues!!!

frenchfrog
France

It�s true you will not find many French teenagers who will be ready to clean, cook or help out around the house!! Their answer is likely to be "Hey, I am not your servant!". How sad is that?!
I have always found American, British and Canadian teenagers more mature and independent than French students. But again, I don�t know if French teenagers are given the chance or even opportunities to show what they can do. I guess we also tend to say NO too often (you know �Don�t do that or ...�).
Did you watch the video?

Frenchfrog

30 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

It is the same here in Spain unfortunately and I actually blame the parents for not letting the children do things for themselves, or for simply not having the patience to let the make their own bed or set the table for example, simply because it is easier for them (the mothers usually) to do it and I agree with you there, that it is quite sad...

I was going to see the video and my computer crashed, no idea why... but I am going now to take a little peek... Wink

PS... just watched the video... too funny, I loved the little girl�s attitude... she was sooo grown up acting.. hilarious.

30 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I think the kid is ... a boy!!Tongue

30 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

I dunno, it looked like a girl to me... must rewatch it... lol

It is a boy... although, if the father hadn�t said "he�d be fine..." or something like that... I�d still think it was a little tomboyish girl... (it�s the squeeky voice thing... Tongue )

30 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

LOL

30 Oct 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Wow! The more I read about this topic, the more interesting it gets. It�s funny how we all come from different backgrounds with different ideas and opinions. It�s also interesting to analyze our countries� tendencies. In my previous post on this matter I talked about my personal experience, but it�s not really the tendency in my country. I come from a third world country and what I�ve seen happening a lot is that children are forced to leave because their parents can�t afford taking care of them any more, or for other reasons. The thing is that they leave to a worse situation, in most cases... not to fulfill their dreams and become independent, etc, etc... but to become young wives (sometimes 14) or young workers in very difficult working environments. Here it�s also illegal to hire someone under 18, but of course, as everything else, the law does really matter. It�s the necessity that matters, and for some, the option is work or become a prostitute (or something as cruel). I was one of the lucky ones, who had the option of choosing between living with my family or moving out. I, in my country, am what you would call... privileged, because for many, this isn�t an option.

BTW, I think the kid in the hilarious video is a boy Wink

Cheers, Icha

30 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Where are you from Icha? I can�t say that I know which country goes with your flag... It looks like some Central American country�s flag but I honestly can�t say which country it represents... or if I am even right about it being in Central America! Geography is not my strong point, I admit...

30 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Just place the cursor of your mouse on her flag and you will see where she is from! Wink

Frenchfrog

30 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Nope, my computer doesn�t let me see it... Ermm

30 Oct 2008     

olga1977
Russian Federation

thank you, Frenchfrog for the nice movie. it worth seen!!!

30 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >