Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Give your opinion    

Give your opinion

IRINA DUMITRASCU
Romania

Give your opinion

Dear colleagues.
 I don�t think it is necessary to write the instructions in your own language, too. It is demotivating for your Ss to read the instructions in English . English methodologies say the same. If there are problems you may clarify them before the start doing the respective task. What do you think? 

30 Oct 2008      

mehmetcan46yahoo
Turkey

dear irina, i completely agree with you. but, when some poor students, don t understand instructions, than we have to explain by body language or in other way.. all the best. keep in touch

30 Oct 2008     

manonski (f)
Canada

Understanding instructions is also part of the curriculum. That�s why I write them in English. If I feel my students my need extra help, I also explain and model what is expected on the worksheet.

30 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Irina,

I do not speak the native language of my students.  I teach from beginners to advanced solely in English.  Even their questions need to be only in english (yes even the beginners!)

You would be amazed at how quickly students learn to ask questions in english when their teacher doesn�t understand their native language!

I do not ban their native language in class.  I will often hear students discuss how to ask a question in english - in their native language.  They work together to come up with the correct sentence. 

I also spend a lot of time at the beginning of the course teaching students how to ask questions, getting some useful phrases up around the classroom.

I also take a lot of photos with the children demonstrating different phrases or rules - with the phrase written underneath.

I now know quite a bit of spanish - enough to know when students ar talking off task - although this has always been obvious through body language - I will now talk to my students in spanish outside of class - it is a bit of a novelty for them to hear their fluent english teacher struggle with basic spanish!!!

30 Oct 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Hi everyone Big smile!

I agree with manonski and vickiii, I also think sts should learn the instructions in English, not just the exercises. I try to motivate my sts to ONLY speak in English during class. The reason is that they just have that hour of the day to practice their English, after that, they most likely will use their native language the rest of the day, so why not make the most out of the class.

See you around!! Wink

30 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I agree with Manonski, Vickiii and Icha! I also think it is important to give the instructions of an exercise in English.
I prepared a worksheet about how to deal with instructions. It will be available tomorrow if you are interested! (http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=124750#thetop)
Frenchfrog

30 Oct 2008     

spring
Turkey

Hello everybody,
I am also in favour of using target language.
I never use native language while preparing my worksheets and exams.At first my SS find it very difficult but in time they got used to it.Many of us are living ESL/EFL countries.Classroom is the only place where Ss are exposed to target lang.
And as Vickii said SS easily find ways to respond to this situation cos they have no chance but to communicate.
Learning Eng. through Eng. is difficult sometimes but when pupils got used to it,learning process becomes like a funny game.
Never let your Ss become addicted to easy stuff.Everybody can deal with easiness but the ones who resist difficulties can cope with EVERYTHING and become successful.

30 Oct 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I agree with most people here, instructions should be only in English (target language) as as easy as possible. �:)

31 Oct 2008