Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar: "allowed to" and "one/ones, e.g. The black one."    

grammar: "allowed to" and "one/ones, e.g. The black one."

Soapp
Germany

grammar: "allowed to" and "one/ones, e.g. The black one."

Dear colleagues, I am about to prepare two lessons on these two grammar topics, but can�t think of anything really great. Is there anybody out there who could help me? I would be soooooooooooo grateful!  Thanks in advance, Karin

another interesting website: www.famouspeoplelessons.com

30 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi soapp,

How about a series of pictures of people doing different activities.
-watching a horror movie
- smoking
- drinking alcohol
- riding a pushbike
- driving a car etc etc

Have the students organise the pictures into things they are allowed to do now and things they are not allowed to do.

Take it further and have them organise them into ages - when are you allowed to do these things - any age, between 16 - 18 21 etc etc

I hope this helps.

30 Oct 2008     

spring
Turkey

Hi Soapp,
Last year I taught one/ones to my 7th grades.
Shopping context is best for teaching this subject.
e.g 1-I would like the blue one.
      2-I would like the trendy ones..
You can highlight the words one/ones substitute for.For instance in the first example one refers to a pen,a skirt e.t.c and in the second example ones refer to pens,skirts e.t.c
This really works and make the comprehension easier.

30 Oct 2008     

larei
Italy

Hello Karin,

I agree with Vickiii: After the grammar has been introduced, a discussion serves the topic "allowed to" best!!! I would divide them into groups and talk what they are allowed to do at home. Better narrow it down a little to some key words they have to cover in their conversations: watch T.V. - stay up late - eat junk food - bring friends home - go out - go to disco - go to the cinema etc.

Concerning the one/ones grammar point, nothing practical pops up in my mind but if I were you I would search in the <adjectives> section on this website. Here�s the link:

Find some good & suitable worksheets there and just slightly adjust them, so that they fit to the bunch of adjectives that you want to focus on in your class. What you should do then is prepare a lot of flashcard sets. Each set showing one item in different variations according to the adjectives you have chosen. The flashcards could show for example several sweaters in different styles --> the black/striped/torn/new/fashionable/small/oversized... one.
Then you could do some drill exercises with the students going through the cards, letting them guess who has which card and so on.

Another thing that you might wanna do after the drilling part is playing a card game where the students can practice the new vocab and sentence pattern. Do you know the card game �4 In A Row�? It�s perfect for this kind of �theme vocabulary�, and you can adapt them easily to your needs once you have a master card. Here�s one suggestion where to find some that I like:

Take the latter as an example: She is putting 4 items into one set, here "winter fashion": raincoat, sweater, mittens & scarf. Then she builds several other sets too, and all of them consists of 4 items.
Now, you could easily keep �clothes� as your main target but instead of having 4 items in one set you give 4 adjectives for one piece of clothing.
E.g. set �sweater�: 1. dirty   2. oversized   3. checked   4. patterned
set �scarf�: 1. dirty   2. oversized   3. checked   4. patterned (or with new adjectives)

The students try to get all 4 cards of one set by asking the other players if they have the missing cards. The dialogue would go like this:
A: "Do you have a pair of pants?"
B: "Yes, I do." / "No, I don�t."
A: "Is it the patterned one?" / -----
B: "Yes, it is." / "No, it isn�t."

Hope this has activated your imagination a bit. Good luck for your classes.

Cheers -- lars

30 Oct 2008