Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Spanish Soap Operas or Korean Soap Operas (Daytime Dramas or Serials)    

Spanish Soap Operas or Korean Soap Operas (Daytime Dramas or Serials)

Pinky Makus
Canada

Spanish Soap Operas or Korean Soap Operas (Daytime Dramas or Serials)

This is slightly...OK really of topic.  In 2002 I spent some time in Europe and became addicted to a few Spanish soap operas.  Of course they had subtitles...but they were just great.  I have also enjoyed some Korean soap operas on TV here at home.  I want to ask you...where can I find more?  I can check You Tube.  But is there somewhere else I should check?

I don �t know the names of the Spanish shows.  One had a story about a ranch that was taken over by some criminals another had a really funny man that went to a seniors home or hospital and a very funny nurse helped him escape.  The third one had a rich family with a son and a daughter.  The mother was really lonely and the dad was always getting into trouble.

I watched almost all episodes of a Korean program that was usually called My Sassy Girl and another program where a man had amnesia and his old girlfriend thought he had died.

There are more that I could mention but this message is getting long enough already.
Can anyone help me find these shows or others like them?  I don �t speak Spanish or Korean so I would need the subtitles (English words on the bottom of the screen).

Take care and thank you!

Pinky

P.S.  Do any of you use these kind of programs as teaching tools?

31 Aug 2009      

Zora
Canada

Okay, first and foremost you should know that these "telenovelas" "culebrones" or soap operas are mostly from South America. Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela and Argentina are among the top producers of these shows. Spain has relatively few "soap operas" compared to them... I think that these countries networks like Venevision produce something like 5 or 10 series per year!!

Anyways here �s a link within Youtube that is sort of dedicated to the "telenovelas".

http://www.youtube.com/user/Telenovela

Smile

31 Aug 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Thanks Zora!  When I said (wrote) Spanish I was more thinking of the language spoken on them which could have been Portuguese for all I know because I have made that mistake before.  I have no idea where they were filmed.  But thanks for your tip.  I miss those shows. 

I was surprised that the shows were changing all the time.  I guess they don �t run for 20 years like some of the older ones here (All My Children, General Hospital...)

Pinky

31 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

No problem Pinky Smile. I knew what you meant, I just thought you should know because if you type in "Spanish soap operas" in Google, you may not get as many entries as if you were looking for "Colombian telenovelas"!!

Goodness no, the "telenovelas" are only maybe 250 episodes on average - some more, some less. That �s the nice thing about them - they do end!

My grandma (she goes back and forth from Spain to Canada each year) says that all she needs to do is watch two episodes of whatever soap opera and she �s all caught up!! In six months, she �s not missed anything whereas with a "culebron" if you miss two episodes you are lost! LOL

Cheers,

Zora 

31 Aug 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I totally agree.  I am so confused with the shows here.  I mean how many times can the same person get married, have a baby, lose their memory, get trapped in a cave, have a mental break down, have plastic surgery or come back from the dead.  Wink

Pinky

31 Aug 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Hi Pinky, maybe you should check these links about telenovelas (soap operas) produced in Mexico by the two main networks Televisa & TV Azteca:

Chobby

1 Sep 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Thank you!

1 Sep 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Thank you!

1 Sep 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada