Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just a thought....    

Just a thought....

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Just a thought....

Have you ever gotten a comment that you didn �t really want on your ws download page?  Wouldn �t it be nice to have the ability to remove this comment? I wonder if Victor can make a remove comment button.  Even an edit button would be nice. If a typo is made it is there for all to see and we cannot correct it. I am not the best typist and so I often make mistakes in my typing. After I have commented on a ws, I am not able to amend it. I think it would be good to have this option.  What say you?
Please forgive me if this topic has been broached.

1 Sep 2009      

miss.cecilia
Argentina

An edit button would be great. But a remove comment button? Confused Do you want to remove the comments on your worksheets?

1 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Nice idea David Thumbs Up

1 Sep 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Let �s suppose that I upload something that it �s not mine (stolen, copied, whatever). Someone leaves a comment informing/warning about that. I can click my magic button and ... done (I know... moderators)

I really think that comments are there not only to say "thank you".

1 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with Cecilia. I try to look thru the comments and when someone warns it is stolen I don �t download. Such a comment would be removed if the option existed. I do think it might be nice to to have to possiblilty to edit/remove your own comment (as in the forum) in case you made a typo or you complimented someone greatly only to find out (after reading the comments) that the ws is stolen...
A button I would like to see is one that brings me back to the top or back to the homepage from the bottom of the recent contributions! It sure is a long scroll back up!

1 Sep 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

It´s a good idea.

1 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Good point miss.cecilia

And excellent suggestion!

1 Sep 2009     

arlissa
United States

I don �t think editing another person �s comments would be acceptable. If they made a typo it �s their problem, not ours.

However, perhaps their could be an option to request the removal of a comment? If someone left a comment falsely telling others this was a stolen ws, then a button to request Victor to remove this comment (after investigation of course) would be great.

1 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

The suggestion is not giving the owner of the WS the possibility to edit others � comments. It is giving the one who put the comment to re-edit it when necessary. not only for typos. Very often we post uncompleted comments inadvertently. We can also have some new idea or opinion on the WS after downloading it and viewing it carefully.

Giving the owner of WS the possibility to delete the comments is not a good idea as far as there are too much dishonest members stealing and copying others work. This would mean give them an extra possibility not to be seen.

Example: Today a WS was reported and is about to be deleted because it is thought to be a copy/paste WS. But the problem is that this WS has already been downloaded more 120 times. Why? simply because the reported didn �t leave a comment to warn people. This did not happen with a lot of WS where the reporter took the precaution to leave a warning comment. What if the example WS got this kind of comment and its owner had the possibility to remove it.

You will tell me, and then! If the WS is going to be deleted, where is the problem? Its owner is going to lose the points. But the problem is not the points. It is to do all our best to make these kind of WS circulate the least possible. Not all people like to download stolen WS and keep them on their PCs. I am sure many will not download them and if they did in a hurry or for some other reason (eg: opening the file to check carefully) they won �t hesitate to delete them soon afterwards.

Regards

EDIT: The warning comments may have another function. It will warn the people more about the owner than the WS itself. people who would see  this comment will be more careful when dealing with this dishonest member, won´t they?

1 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I don �t think editing another person �s comments would be acceptable. If they made a typo it �s their problem, not ours.
Arlissa, you missed the point. I was talking about MY typos not others. WHY would I want to fix someone else �s typo?
However, perhaps their could be an option to request the removal of a comment? If someone left a comment falsely telling others this was a stolen ws, then a button to request Victor to remove this comment (after investigation of course) would be great.

This is a good idea and also for slanderous comments. Maybe we could have Victor remove the comment if it is not related to the ws, especially those that are politically charged.

1 Sep 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Dear Spagman63,

Your idea sounds great!!!

Some time ago I was left a nasty comment in one of my worksheets... telling me that the file couldn �t be edited and how unfair I was for doing that, regardless of the fact that I had explained in the WS description that I had designed it in corel and had pasted it into word...

I felt really bad about this comment, and decided to delete the printables and upload it the following day. This user, who I had PMed explaining how nasty her comment had been, reported the worksheet out of vengance when I uploaded it again, saying it was just a clipart, when in fact it was a weekly plan template, something I do consider an ESL resource...

Unfortunately, I guess the moderators agreed with her beause my worksheet got removed....

I think the whole problem would have been solved if I had had the possibility to "report" this user �s comment and having it removed.

Cheers!

Cyn

1 Sep 2009