Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A teacher of English or an English teacher    

A teacher of English or an English teacher

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

A teacher of English or an English teacher

I would like to ask about this point. I notice that many teachers in this nice website identify themselves as "an English teacher" which " I think" they are origionally come from England(Britain). So, the correct title should be " A teacher of English".

Because we can not consider some one let us say for example "Palestinian" as "an English teacher.
Also when we say "English teacher" it means that he or she English but teaches any thing like history or English. SOooooo. Am I wrong in my point of view?????Wink

2 Sep 2009      

aclink
United States

I think that someone from England would be referred to as British.  I�m from the Unites States and I would never say �she is a teacher of English� I would say that she�s an English teacher.  If people are from England they probably would say they are British! I �m not from England so I could be wrong!

2 Sep 2009     

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

Oh. Sorry. That is what I meant. British

2 Sep 2009     

Mderella
Thailand

I �m not sure that I get the right point here. It �s not common to say you �re a teacher of English instead of you �re an English teacher.  and How do we know that you �re a teacher from England or you �re a teacher who teach English language?  It �s a stress position in the phrase.

If you say; "I �m an English � teacher."  (stress at "English")  means you �re a teacher who teach English language.  Contrastly, "I �m an Enlish teacher �." , means you �re a teacher from England. This what I �ve learn from my teacher. ^^

2 Sep 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

English in this context is a curriculum subject...
Ex: I am a History teacher, I am a Science teacher...She is the Music teacher, He is the Art teacher... and so on.
I �m an English teacher. 

A: Who is the Geography teacher at your school?
B: Miss Grant
A: Who is the English Teacher at your school?
B Mr Smith

It does not refer to nationality but the the curriculum topic that you teach. I would never say I am a teacher of English. If someone asked me what I do - I would say I am an English teacher.
(Specifically I teach English)
If I taught Science and Math I would say I �m a Science and Math teacher. (or informally I might also say I teach Science and Math)

2 Sep 2009     

alexa09
Argentina

Both are correct in Argentina. Though some teachers prefer "teacher of english" to make a difference from "nationality as "english teacher " would be...nevertheless, some prefer one and some the other...It �s as the title: "Miss" it was to be used with one �s surname, not with the name, but everybody uses it with their name as "Miss Alejandra" and it �s already accepted and cosidered correct. (because for children is easier and less "formal")

2 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

In an English speaking country schools generally have both English Teachers and ESL (English as a second language) teachers. 

An English teacher is only found in high schools and teaches the Subjects of English and English Literature.  An ESL teacher works in both primary and high schools providing support to students whose first language is not English.

In agreement with both Silke and Cheezels, generally if a teacher is referred to as the Italian teacher it generally means that they are the teacher of Italian.  They  might also be Italian but we usually don �t refer to a teachers nationality or background.

2 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

How about, "I �m an English English teacher." Or better yet, "I �m an English English English teacher." (not an English American English teacher or American English English teacher) HAHA! 

2 Sep 2009     

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

Thank you all. I was really confused about the meaning. but now it is clear that I understand the point.

3 Sep 2009