Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Translate an English idiom    

Translate an English idiom

mjpa
Spain

Translate an English idiom

Could any of the Spanish members here (or members speaking Spanish) , please, translate this idiom for me?
"A fool and his money are soon parted".
Thanks a lot in advance.

2 Sep 2009      

N.F.T
South Africa

It refers to someone that easily fooled into giving something away.  If you imagine the situation:  A foolish man is approached by a man selling something that the foolish man DOESN �T NEED - but because the man is a good salesman he manages to convince our foolish friend to BUY THE OBJECT.  The fool was soon parted with his money.  We can use this idiom when we are referring to someone who is easily taken advantage of - but usually out of their own ignorance.

2 Sep 2009     

mjpa
Spain

Thanks NFT, very well explained but the problem is that I need to find an equivalent into Spanish. A similar idiom.

2 Sep 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

OH!! LOL SILLY ME:) *blush!*

2 Sep 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

I think the Spanish equivalent is "Un tonto y su dinero no est�n mucho tiempo juntos"

Hope it helps!

2 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

How about:

A los tontos no les dura el dinero.

Smile

2 Sep 2009     

Akanah
Spain

"A los tontos les dura poco el dinero"

I �ve never heard that before...

Olga,

2 Sep 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I know I�m becoming a little bit "demanding", but your suggestions don�t sound very much like an idiom.

Any other suggestions?

NFT: You explained it really well, but i was looking for a translation.

2 Sep 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I have never heard a Spanish person saying  "A los tontos les dura poco el dinero", that�s why i�m asking you. It sounds so weird to me. ...

2 Sep 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Take a look here:

2 Sep 2009     

alexa09
Argentina

something that you say which means that stupid people spend money without thinking about it enough
Im thinking the similar translation in Spanish...

2 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >