Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > She was sitting on the floor    

She was sitting on the floor

Maria Elisa Orsini
Brazil

As some of our friends have said... you need to study HOW THE PROCESSES WORK IN ENGLISH. Saying "well, in English ...it is like that!!!" isn �t really a sentence a techer should say in a classroom. We need to be able to explain WHY things happen (as I �ve said before, linguistically, there �s pretty much a logic to everything!). Saything "that �s just the way it is" wouldn �t be a satisfactory explanation to me at all (if I were a student). Well, that �s just my opinion anyways...

4 Sep 2009     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Saying "well, in English ...it is like that!!!" isn �t really a sentence a techer should say in a classroom.

Dear Maria, I think you have misunderstood me. As you and many have said, it is not good translating when you are learning a language. However, when there is an exception to a rule, such as irregular comparative, and you tell your students...well... for good we use better, it is an exception, etc etc and they ask you but why?, I kindly tell them that in English it is like that. I am pretty sure I am not offending anyone by saying that.

Moreover, I always try to give my students a reasonable explanation, that �s why I asked for help in the forum. Otherwise, I wouldn �t have even bothered :)

In my opinion, students, teachers and people in general can think in English only if they live in an English society. My students think in Spanish because that �s the world they live in. There is a very nice story called The Frog in the well, which shows that the way people think depends on the language they speak.

Finally, How many times a student has made a mistake and he hasn �t worked it out by "thinking in English" but rather after reading more about the topic or after a teacher has explained it to him.

Best regards,

Jor

4 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2