Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teach Writing Using Video    

Teach Writing Using Video

trongluan
Vietnam

Teach Writing Using Video

Dear all of teachers,
I am teaching writing to a group of adult. Well, they seem not motivated to write. I have heard that we can use video to motivate the students to write as well as to provide them the background knowledge. So far i have tried to find out some articles on how to use video in EFL writing class but poor me! i have not. Would you please guide me on how we can use video in teaching writing, such as: description, narration, opinion, cause and effect, and comparison and contrast, or give me some webs or articles on this topic. Many many thanks in advance to you all, teachers.

I am looking forward to your advice and guide.

4 Sep 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Hmmm, just last night i posted on Imaginative Writing ... I don �t know if it will be useful to you, but you might get an idea or two from it. Check the thread and you �ll see what the others also suggested. They gave great ideas.
Also, try typing "writing" in the search engine at the bottom of the home page and you �ll find more threads which might answer your question.
Good luck! Thumbs Up

Imaginative Writing
P.S. You will have to click on Post an Answer and then from there open the page. I don�t know why it�s not working.

4 Sep 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Check the bottom links. Great ones!!http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view_printer_friendly.asp?id=1116 (Descriptive Video: Using Media Technology to Enhance Writing)

http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Wolf-UsingVideo.html (Using Video to Develop Writing Fluency in Low-Proficiency ESL Students)

Best wishes,

Nebal

4 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Oh, no video, BUT a very good way to trick them into writing is through letters. Been there, done that. Write a personal letter to all of them (if you can �t write to each student, you can always make a copy of the same letter) and hand it to them, so that they reply back. You can introduce tenses through the letter, e.g. "You won �t believe it, but last week I ... How was your week?" etc.

4 Sep 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Yes, writing to them and getting them to write to each other is a very good idea! I do it very often and they love writing and getting a reply from a friend even if they know him or her well! I do this with 2 different classes!it looks, seems, as if they are getting a mail from the other side of the planet!!
Sorry, I have just realzed you are talking about adults!! But I am sure it works with them as well!Don´t we all have a child part in everyone of us?

4 Sep 2009     

a isabel
Portugal

You could also show them a video,stop it before the end and ask them to think about a possible way it can end.  Every pupil can use their imagination and the others willl be curious about their mates � endings.
Good luck!

4 Sep 2009     

a isabel
Portugal

Have you seen this worksheet?

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=230926#thetop

4 Sep 2009