Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Early foreign language education: what do you think of the effect?    

Early foreign language education: what do you think of the effect?

tarokawa2000
Japan

Early foreign language education: what do you think of the effect?

English activites have begun at elementary schools for 11 and 12 age children in Japan, my country this school year.  Before this system implemented, there were debates between two camps of researchers in my country: early English education is good for them to master the language, and that has bad influences on mother language development and development of identity.

Japan has started the system in between.  The education starts at age of 11, not under 8, with prohibition of teaching letters and any form of writing, as well as teaching grammars.

I � d like to ask what has been thought of early foreign language education, bad effects on mother language development of children as well.

Thanks in advance,

Taro
Hokkaido, Japan

6 Sep 2009      

gabitza
Romania

Hi,
I �ve read that at the age of 6 a child can learn a foreign language in 6 months.
I do believe in early language aquisition, and fortunately, our system does, too. In Romania, learning English starts at the age of 3 in pre-school, as an optional subject matter. It is also an optional subject in primary grades 1 and 2 and becomes a compulsory subject in grade 3, when kids are 8 - 9 years old. Until this age, teaching writing is prohibited, but there is no rule concerning exposure to the words and reading. Which is beneficial to language aquisition, in fact.
Regards,
Gabitza

6 Sep 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

My  (now) seven year old grandson has started learning English when he was 1 year old as he went to a bilingual school. Even so his Portuguese is extremely developped.  I have never seen a bad influence of a language on an other one. It is possible that when the child starts to learn his mother tongue and the foreign language at the same time, that it takes him (her) a little bit long longer to speak correctly, but the benefit of learning a language at an early age is enormous.

6 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

In Quebec, English is compulsory right at the beginning, starting in grade 1. For the first two years, the focus is to develop the "ear" of the students and we introduce them to songs, rhymes and stories. Students are asked to communicate in English but we can �t teach them the act of reading (decoding) and writing.

When they get to grade 3, the curriculum is different. We have to teach them to read, write and interact.

6 Sep 2009     

tarokawa2000
Japan

Thank you very much for your reply, gabitza and s. lefevre. 

I heard from a teacher who had been working at a Japanese school in Thailand for three years, who researched with a famous university there, that average learners could get two and more languages when they were very young, but slow learners whose tests scores were far under the average couldn �t master their mother language and foreign languages.

Have you all ever head of such research data in your country, or do you feet that might be true from your teaching experiences?

Taro

6 Sep 2009     

tarokawa2000
Japan

Thank you very much, manonski(f).

I found your reply after I wrote to former two teachers.

Can I ask you the same question, manonski(f)?

6 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

All of my children speak two languages fluently.  They speak English and Hebrew.  Both at the level of mother tongue.  Learning a second language is good for kids.

Also gives them an advantage when they begin working.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

6 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Wow, Judy, It �s great to know your children can speak 2 languages at the level of mother tongue Thumbs Up Which is their second language -English or Hebrew? When did they begin to learn it?

Anyways, I am sure that it �s sensible to teach English to kids when they are still little, I dont remember where I read this but - 2 years old is considered to be a perfect age to start learning a second language.

Hugs, Kate

6 Sep 2009     

tarokawa2000
Japan

Thank you very much, Judy and Kate.

So far no negative information on early second language education.
It seems there is far bigger advantage than no early teaching.

Thank you again, all,

Taro 

6 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

tarokawa2000, what I noticed is that younger students are more open and they take more risks. The grade 1 and 2 program is fairly new in Quebec. Before that, we started English in grade 3. I �ve seen a huge impact on the level of vocabulary my students have and how quickly they retain the language.
For me, this new program has been a positive experience.

I don �t have children of my own so I can only tell you about my experience in a school context.

6 Sep 2009     

tarokawa2000
Japan

Thank you very much again, manonski (f).

I �ve become to feel that our government should start early language education, hopefully under 8.

Best regards,

Taro

6 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >