Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Portfolio    

Portfolio

Meggie_Martin
Canada

Portfolio

Hello everyone !

First, let me tell you how I appreciate all the work you�ve put on this website ! It is amazing ! Thanks a lot !

Second, I have a question concerning students� portfolios. Is someone using a portoflio with his/her students? What kind of work do you suggest your students to put in? Do you evaluate it ?

Finally, could someone share his/her experience with me. I would to introduce it to my students.

Thanks in advance, Smile

31 Oct 2008      

natilu
Costa Rica

Well,
In this moment I�m working with a portfolio for the writing class, I have them writing 2 drafts and a final version. For the two drafts, I only evaluate punctuality -that is that they bring the draft when asked- and I have them the first draft peer checked, then the second draft checked by me but not evaluated and the final version is the one who is going to be evaluated!!!
Although it is only for the writing class, you can have it in every class. I have known teachers that did for science projects, arts, music and much more.
The point of the portfolio, is not to evaluate the homework but to evaluate the process, but seeing if they are advancing, seeing if there is any development. That�s why your evaluation should include a rubric for process, creativity and more.

Wink

Hope I was for help!!!

31 Oct 2008     

Snow- white
Macedonia

Dear Meggie,I work with portfolio ,too.You can make a chart  including your ss names ,the theme and several things that you wish to evaluate and you can use signs such as smiley or + -  or *** good ** ok *bad.I work with my third graders with a book SET SAIL which has six themes.On each theme I evaluate the things concerning the theme(eg. MY ANIMALS theme: recognizes the animals,can write it�s name,use the word in short sentence,memorizes the song "Happy farm" )etc.I  hope it helps.I can send you my chart if you like.Greetings

31 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Meggie,

I have previously used a portfolio with native speakers.  I would give the children a piece of diagnostic or formative assessment to do at the beginning of the unit. 
For Example - Brainstorm everything you know about colours or Match the names to the colour worksheet.
This is also helpful to me as the teacher - as now I know what the children know - and what they need to learn.

this would go in the childrens portfolio.  At the end of the unit I would give the children a piece of summative assessment - this can just be a repeat of the formative assessment if you like or
for example - colours - draw a picture of a rainbow and label all of the colours

this is obviously a very basic example for young children or beginners.  It is also effective with older learners. 

A more advanced example:
Talking about the future:  Have students write a story about what they are giong to do in the holidays.  At the end of the unit repeat this activity or change the topic to something like - What they would do if they won a million dollars. 

I would also suggest including a vocabulary or spelling chart so that students can see their vocabularly increasing (just do a line graph that charts the students new words or phrases - they add another dot to it each month when you test them on vocabulary).

I found this type of portfolio was fantastic for students as they could have a look and see how far they have advanced.  It was excellent for parents as they could see the childrens progress as well.  It is an excellent assessment tool for those teachers who like to use a person-centered approach to teaching rather than giving students grades, pass fail etc.  All students can feel successful instead of just the really good students.

Hope this is helpful.
Vickiii
Sorry about spelling errors - it is not that i can�t spell - just one hand types faster than the other!

31 Oct 2008     

Anaaa
Portugal

Hi Maggie Smile, my last upload to this site was a portfolio frontpage for young learners with a table of contents. Check it out and maybe by reading what it says in the table of contents you find some help. That�s what I usually use with my Ss.

Happy Halloween by the way Tongue

31 Oct 2008