Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help to plan Halloween    

I need your help to plan Halloween

morganalin
Portugal

I need your help to plan Halloween

Hi colleagues I know that it �s a little soon to talk about Halloween but the entity where I �m teaching English to adults asked me to propose them some activities for Halloween. We �re talking about adult classes, what can I do with them?

I have some ideas. For instance, I �m going to divide the class in 4 groups and  all the groups are going to do a research about a specific topic... but there is a group that don �t have a theme to work in, any suggestions?

group 1 - Halloween origins;
group 2 - traditional games/ customs;
group 3 - the legend of Bloody Mary;
group 4 - (I �m waiting for your suggestions)

The groups have to present their research to rest of the class.
I also thought of showing them the horror film - Urban legends: Bloody Mary. But I want something more. I want to put them interacting with the other adults groups, what about games? what kind of halloween games do u think are great for adults classes?

I �m looking forward for your reply. Feel free to write your suggestions.

Greetings

10 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

Maybe traditional food.

10 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Famous haunted places. 

10 Sep 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Have you thought about writing or telling scary stories and talking about what are the essential elements of a good scary story?  (What is common amongst them?)

I remember when I was a child participating in a scary story where  the lights were turned off or we had to close our eyes.  The teacher or leader told us a story and then for certain parts of the story items where passed around for us to touch.  But we couldn �t see what we were touching.  One time we were told about monster brains and we had to touch some cooked spagetti.  It was disgusting, but so much fun.  Next we had to touch some eyes.  They must have been hard boiled/cooked eggs with the shells removed.  You can have lots of fun with that one.  Make sure to have blindfolds and flashlights.  All the students sit in a large circle.  You can use one or more stories and people can vote on which one was the best.

What do you think?

I have also attended Halloween parties where we had to bring scary looking food.  We had sugar cookies that looked like fingers with almond finger nails.  Hard boiled eggs for eyes and worms in dirt.  That is made by putting chocolate cookie crumbs or graham cracker crumbs in a bucket and hiding gummy worms (candy) in the "dirt".  To make it really disgusting you put chocolate pudding on the bottom of the bucket first to look like mud.  I am not sure if cooking will be part of your theme.

10 Sep 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

What about the legend and  tradition of Jack-o �-lantern

10 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Some games I  have used successfully:

1. You prepare 4 piles of cards: characters (Dracula, A huge spider, an alien, etc), action verbs (crawl, walk into, fly, etc), places  (the forest, an old hut, a dark cave, etc), objects (pillow, teapot, chair. etc)
According to the level they may be four or more: manner adverb, etc
They have to take one card in turns and tell their part of the story using that word. The challenge and funny thing is to be able to continue. Sometimes they have to go on speaking until they can include it.
They end up amazed at the stories they have created.

2. You stick long words on the board and they have to make as many words as possible from them in one/two minutes:
Frankestain: in - an - tea - net, etc

3. You write Halloween ideas (Film titles, simple sentences); cut out the words and mix them up giving each group a pile. Each group has to unscramble the sentence and stand up holding the words in the correct order. The first ones to finish are the winners.

4. If you a wide place where to play you can blindfold one member of each group; put some things on the way (chairs, boxes, etc). The group has to give directions to their member in order to get to the other end without touching anything.

5. You prepare some kind of prize (sweets, whatever you like), wrap it up by using old newspaper and stick a card "Laugh like a witch"; then other wrapping and other card "Sing a song aloud"and so on until you want it to finish.
You give one parcel to each group. They have to pass them around until the music stops: time to open the first layer and do. If they do not dare, they are out of competence.
The first group to reach the prize is the winner.

Any other ideas will be welcome as I love changing them every year, although they already have their favourites!

10 Sep 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Famous film - I �m going to show it this Halloween for sure - Sleepy Hollow...
Oh, the heads rolling and the blood trickling... Bliss!..

10 Sep 2009     

morganalin
Portugal

A big thank u to Eng789, Zora, Pinky, Damielle, Tere-arg, Lana and Frenchfrog for all your good suggestions. definitely you help me. now I have more ideas. I �m going to propose your suggestions to my students, let �s see what they think about it.

HugsHug

10 Sep 2009