Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > discipline issues    

discipline issues

moniq2
Mexico

discipline issues

Hello everybody, I have so much to ask you, i hope you can help me. I am teaching English at a University, so my students are 18 to 20 �s and they are studying enginnering. Most of them are men and i dont know to work with them. They have bad attitude, they don �t think English is important and they almost never do homework. I would like to receive some advise from you about what i can do. I am so dissapointed and sad now that i need your help. Thank you so much.

10 Sep 2009      

Zora
Canada

Ahh.. The arrogance of the young engineer... I know it well. My ex is a Civil Engineer and it wasn �t until he travelled to Portugal that he got his taste of reality. He met other Engineers there and they started speaking and he was like "Damn, they speak way better English than we do." (I am in Spain)...

So, what you need is to give them a reality check of some kind, let them know that if they want to get on in the world of Engineering they NEED English, whether they like it or not. A good engineer needs it - period. Do they think that they are going to stay in Mexico forever?? What if their company sends them to Australia, Canada, Russia or even Norway?! English is the Global language for business!! 

Maybe you could bring in an Engineer of some sort to tell them how much they need the language.  

10 Sep 2009     

anahutten
Canada

Maybe you can take a look in the University �s library for books or magazines about engineering IN ENGLISH and bring the whole pile to class!!  

10 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Monig 2

There are Engineering ESl books at this link: http://www.englishjobmaze.com/bookstore/b-esp-eng.htm.

Maybe you can base some lessons around concepts in this book, or around engineering info you find on the web.  use engineering articles for a range of activities: cloze, grammar, speaking language functions etc.  Take up Zora �s suggestion and have a guest speaker - get them to take notes and write a one page summary of his presentation. 

We have to do the same when dealing with subject specific students - it �s a lot of preparation initially but soon you �ll have a useful collection of resources.

Cheers

Jayho

11 Sep 2009     

angie.106
Colombia

It is a very difficult situation because it does  not allow you to achieve your goals , but do not worry about it, I advise you to ask them to make blogs and work in the internet because is this what call students atention.

11 Sep 2009     

lyny
Mexico

I sometimes use with my ss. Oxford English for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, (but they are engineers and they have a good level for understanding this book). here you can find some interesting topics they would like but if they don �t have good basis they surely will get bored.
You have to tell them that if they fail their final english test, they won �t get the title, they must know english. Some years ago I worked at a university, it was not hard I think you can manage them by giving them good stuff, here you can find some, have them busy cause if you want to have them sitting, quiet and listening, it won �t work.
You give them games, divide them in groups they like competition
I began by teaching them common verbs with flashcards lottery..., after that adjectives then they begin to structure..... They have to do the job not you, cause you know english they don �t
You don �t have to be in front of the group just saying bla blaa.... no way!!! they hate that
Make them work and believe me they would love you. Good luck!!!! 

11 Sep 2009