Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Any idea of charts to control kids behavior in class?    

Any idea of charts to control kids behavior in class?

maufon
Costa Rica

Any idea of charts to control kids behavior in class?

Hi!!

Once again I am asking you to help me with any guide or idea what kind of chart could i implement to improve my 2nd grade students. They used to be so quiet but now we have another child that is very rude or violent and everything changed, some times it drives me crazy. It seems tat all of them are against that boy who bother and kick them so frequently, when they ignore him, then he offends their mothers till he gets a reaction.

Thank you soooo much for your ideas or advises because i know that many of you have dealed with similar situations.

10 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

See if you can find something here:

good luck.  :  )

10 Sep 2009     

millmo
France

I had the same problem last year with a boy that would not sit down, used to run around the class, take his shirt off, throw things etc. I only had the glass twice a week for 3/4 hour.

I tried punishment in the form of extra work, I tried expulsion from the class, I tried ignoring him, I tried sending him to the head teacher, I tried threatening to send a letter home to his father.  ON THE POSITIVE : I tried one to one feedback, I tried being extra nice to him, I tried telling him how well he was behaving ( when he actually sat down), I tried encouragement. I tried everything!!!

I am sorry to report that he was as badly behaved with every teacher and even kicked the head teacher. We all tried everything we could think of and even asked the education authority for help. Unfortunately my daughter was in the same class. He is back again this year. My daughter has moved schools and I have not returned there.

I would love to end on a positive note and give you words of wisdom. However, he really put me of teaching and I was glad for the summer holidays. I feel refreshed and ready to start again. I have managed to push the experience aside and remember all of the well behaved children.

All I can say is, please don �t try to handle it alone, speak to the other teachers and head teacher. They may have ways of dealing with the class that you have not yet tried.

10 Sep 2009     

dyndel
El Salvador

I DESIGNED A REALLY WISE IDEA THAT STOPPED THIS SAME PROBLEM
I TELL A STORY IN PIECES FOR EXAMPLE AS MY STUDENTS LOVE SCARY STORIES SO I INVENTED A REALLY HORRIBLE AS YOU CAN DO IT
BUT I BEGIN TELLING THEM MY STORY LITTLE BY LITTLE AND I WARN THEM THAT IF THEY BEHAVE GOOD THEY WILL KNOW MORE AND MORE SO THEY STAY ATTEMPTIVE IN ORDER TO GET MORE PIECES OF STORY....I WON FINALLY!!!!!!!!

10 Sep 2009     

dyndel
El Salvador

OOPS  I  DIDN �T TELL YOU THAT I CONTINUE MY CLASS BUT I KNOW WHEN TO STOP TO CONTINUE THE STORY...SO I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AND FINISH WHEN I GET THE DESIRED GOAL OF THE TOPIC OF THE DAY....IF YOU SEE THAT YOUR PUPILS ARE WORKING SO GOOD YOU CAN NOT FINISH THE STORY AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TOMORROW......WELL, YOU CANNOT DO THE SAME EVERYDAY BUT YOU CAN BE CREATIVE WITH MORE IDEAS. 

10 Sep 2009     

dyndel
El Salvador

YOU CAN ALSO HAVE SOME CHARTS TO CATCH THEIR ATTENTION

10 Sep 2009     

dyndel
El Salvador

ANOTHER IDEA!!!
HAVE SOME FLASHCARDS AND ASK YOUR STUDENTS TO TAKE 3 OR MORE AND THEN ASK THEM TO BUILD A STORY IN SEQUENCE IN WHICH THEY HAVE TO WRITE  A STORY AND LATER THEY MUST GO TO THE FRONT TO TELL IT TO THE CLASS

10 Sep 2009     

EvaRamos
Panama

The traffic light system is an excellent system.  I also have start of the week award, it works wonders :)

This is a website with awesome classroom management resources.  I hope you can solve the problem, I know how does it feel :(

A Big hug
Eva

10 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I wish I had some sort of advice. I �ll wait and follow this post to see what other teachers say.
I know exactly what you mean.
I posted asking for help on this similiar topic here is the link if someone is interested in reading the useful suggestions some members gave me.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11738&page=2

I have a student at present who sits at the back and sleeps, and he suddenly comes up with silly questions, interrupts the class and laughs at his classmates when they open their books and start �trying � to do something. He is sort of bullying his classmates or picking on them because they are studying.  But these are not little ones, this guy has been in the same year for 2 years and he is 18!!

Edit: I was meant to tell you also that a colleague I met last year told me she solved the problem of discipline with her students by suddenly starting to speak to an invisible person whom she called ´Mauricio´. She would speak to him as if he was a student sitting among students and sometimes even asked him to open the windows. She said that as soon as she started speaking to her invisible assistant in the class, students were really susprised and back to their sits looking with wide open eyes, and in silence. It works for her, but I couldn´t see myslef speaking to an invisible friend. I think she really is a gifted actress and teacher!.

10 Sep 2009     

maufon
Costa Rica

millmo, i know you know what i  am talking about. I have tried it all as well, we have had a meeting with his mother but, it�s like having an argument with a lillte girl as well.

Some teacher from emotional cild support departement, did not believe me or te oter teacher but now, they completely understand and are doing the arrangements to get some psycologic help for the boy.

but, honestly, i feel kind of frustrated!!Confused but i hope everything will be better soon. I always try to face it with a positive attitude but sometimes, it�s difficult.

I really thank you all for your help. God bless you.

hugs from Costa Rica.

10 Sep 2009