Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Should the wearing of school uniforms be compulsory in public schools??    

Should the wearing of school uniforms be compulsory in public schools??

Caroline565
Australia

Should the wearing of school uniforms be compulsory in public schools??

This is a a matter that I have heard debated so many times over the past few years. Often if has come up at a parent-teacher meeting and it can become a very heated subject at times. Would love to hear of other colleagues� thoughts on the pros and cons of having a school uniform. Are the students� thoughts on this the same as the adults? Ah! there are so many issues here.. e.g. discipline, being democratic, status etc. Anyway I �m throwing it open to anyone who cares to comment. Caroline. Hugs.      

16 Sep 2009      

_babz
Canada

uniforms
pros=
-everyone looks the same, no gangs
-safer, no outside intruders can enter the school (like students)
-easier in the morning, already know what to wear
-better than dress codes, easier to control what is appropriate or not

cons=
-cheap quality (most of the time)
-can be expensive
-harder to express oneself

Actually....my school.....always had a uniform...100 years....and since the 1960 �s adopted a dress-code and for a long time it stayed that way.......we were known as the private school that feels like a public one..

but 4 years ago...my school put back their uniform...not the one from the 1900s though..lol......but they put place a modern style uniform with 100s of possibilities when it comes to accessorizing....sort of like the dockers look..,,,it is for the best

16 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I personaly am very happy our school does not have a uniform. A few years ago pretty much all schools in Israel started obliging their students to wear a school t-shirt. (usually a few agreed upon colors are allowed and it has a school logo printed on them). Our school leaves kids free what to wear and I am very happy about that. My own kids go to the same school I work at. I don �t like the idea that kids need to be �uniform � , I like celebrating their differences! The argument that it blurrs the differences in socio-economic background (which a lot of people call upon to justify the uniform) is nonsense in my opinion. Kids know very well whose schoolbag costs 50 dollars and whose 7 . They know who has a real Ipod, who has an imitation and who doesn �t have at all, same for shoes and parents � car or bike!

By the way, despite the fact that uniform starts with a vowel, we do not use �an � did you ever notice? Actually all long u �s do the same..  a unicorn, a university... Never really thought about that....Is that a rule?

16 Sep 2009     

Katiushka74
Israel

About "an" before a vowel. In English we don �t look at the first letter of the word, but listen to the sound it makes. If it is a sound of a vowel, we use "an", if it is a sound of a consonant ,as in the case of "uniform" and "university", we use "a". 

16 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Well, i could say that students in our schools, especially in well-developed towns and cities already wear "uniforms" - e.g. Nike trainers, Levi �s jeans, Tera Nova shirts, Nokia phones, etc. Get my point??? Cool

16 Sep 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Thank you all for your responses to the thread. I still don �t know whether it is a good or a bad thing to make a uniform compulsory. Anyway I just thought it would be interesting to get your views. �Again thanks.

CarolineHug

16 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I grew up in a country where we wore school uniforms. I love them! In every school, you have a mix of material wealth. Some kids can afford Nike, others can �t. School uniform rules out the inevitable competitiveness in dress. I know, as a child, I was grateful for uniforms. It helped that our uniform looked nice. 

17 Sep 2009