Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > but vs however    

but vs however

dublinschool
Spain

but vs however

Can somebody give me an idea on how to explain the difference between "but" and "however" to a pre intermediate level student?? Me myself get messed up some times and I wouldn �t like to drive him crazy...
Would this be correct??

"But" and "However" contrast ideas and they more or less mean the same. It is in the position they take in the sentence where they are different.  "But" would be used to join clauses preceeded by a comma. "However" goes at the beginning of a sentence followed by a comma.
I don �t want to get into other exceptions right now.. would this be ok to tell him? Am I missing something important?

thanks and have a great week!

jennySmile

21 Sep 2009      

baiba
Latvia

Dear Silke

You gave a really valuable link. The presentation explains everything! Thanks a lot!

21 Sep 2009     

tornado81
Poland

I think that for a pre-int student, the most important info would be a. different position in a sentence, b. the level of formality of the two words.

21 Sep 2009     

dublinschool
Spain

thanks everybody for your help!!!
have a great day!!!Smile

23 Sep 2009