Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

JulietaVL
Mexico

Grammar question

I am in class at the moment and I have a doubt and my students are at the moment waiting for me to solve it

which one is correct?

My father doesn�t often go to the church

or

My father often doesn�t go to the church

or

My father doesn�t go to the church often

I got confused!!!!

22 Sep 2009      

wilwarin32
Argentina

Adverbs of frequency go before the main verb in the sentence, so the first one is ok. They go after to be, though. Bye!!!

22 Sep 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I agree with wilwarin 32.I also think the first sentence is the correct one.
Have a nice day.Hug

22 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Yes, that �s right, the first one!

22 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

As far as I know... frequency adverbs ALWAYS before the main verb. The first one is ok.

How do your students deal with the fact of having so many teachers at the same time? Clap

Beautiful ... this new tech.
hugs to you and your students
linda

22 Sep 2009     

Nereis
Argentina

The first one is the correct one, and I think I �ve seen sometimes very often  at the end of the sentence

22 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Oh thank you!!

My students say thanks a bunch too!!

I got very confused!!!.... this kind of doubts happen sometimes

22 Sep 2009     

seni
Portugal

I really think that when the adverb is composed it goes to the beginning or the end of the sentence. Just like Every day, very often. When it �s simple it comes after the verb, except if it �s the verb to be or that always has priority. Bye and  i �m always available to help! :)
 Enjoy your classes! And don �t forget: "English is Fun!"

22 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

We can also choose to put usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a whole clause as in Usually, I have lunch at midday.  This is done simply for emphasis.

We can also place often and sometimes at the end of a clause as in I don �t visit my granny often although you �re entirely correct in saying that we teach learners to place adverbs of frequency immediately before the main verb (He frequently ignores me) or between two auxiliary verbs ( I  would often write to my friend in America) or after the verb to be (I was always sick when I ate semolina).

22 Sep 2009