Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Question~ Please help me.     

Grammar Question~ Please help me.

joy2bill
Australia

I �m opting for the second sentence.  I agree that it is the subjunctive which is rarely recognised as a tense nowadays.

Just to confuse matters, you will find  that native speakers use both.

I guess it is one of those times where the rules are not necessarily followed by the local people. 

So do we teach what should be or do we teach what really happens?

Hug Cheers Joy

22 Sep 2009     

aidan.macdonald
Switzerland

The second sentence is correct.

The subjunctive is a mood and not a tense; it is extremely formal and tends only to be used in writing. When emploied, we use the root form for all persons. However, it can often be substituted for a modal verb. Thus native speakers do not use both, often preferring to use a modal instead.

Another example would be I recommend that he be imprisioned, or in the past, I wish that I were taller.

You can find out more about this in Longman �s Grammar and Vocabulary for CAE and CPE.

22 Sep 2009     

Jennings Teacher
Korea, South

Thanks everyone~

I think I have the answer now... The grammer books are technically correct, but native speakers so often use it the other way that it has now become acceptable and informally correct. That would be why the Word program has it that way.

Thank you all for all your input. It has really helped me alot.

Take care.
Jennings Teacher^^

23 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2