Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to help a student back on track!?    

How to help a student back on track!?

lisa jayne
Denmark

How to help a student back on track!?

Hello! I am English, living in Denmark, and often have my childrens friends home if they need help with their english homework. I have been contacted by someone asking for help. Her son is 13, and has had English for about 4 years, but is having a lot of problems in his new school. He seems to have lost all interest, and has trouble keeping up and understanding and indeed with a lot of the basics of the language. I would love to help, and would like to hear if any of you have tried helping someone in this situation, or if you have any ideas of how to get him back on track, and enjoying English again. Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

22 Sep 2009      

ramon.moravski
Brazil

Hello,

First of all I think you should try to find out what exactly made him lose the interest. Was it the teacher? The material?

Secondly, I think it �s important to give him a reason for having motivation. For example: When I told one of my students that speaking English could make him get the double of his salary, he became my best student. You have to remember that speaking English is not really important, but the advantages that it can give you are.

Of course that for a teenager that won �t matter. But try to find out what he is interested in. And start planning your classes based on that. At least, if he isn �t interested in the English, he will be interested in the theme of the class, and will learn consequently.

I had a lot of experience with demotivated students and this was one the ways I found to make them interested in the class.

If you want to talk more about this, just send me PM.

Best wishes and good luck with your student,
Ramon

22 Sep 2009