Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Not moaning... just a request    

Not moaning... just a request

colibrita
United Kingdom

Not moaning... just a request

Please please pretty please can we all put keys (answers) with our work?  Yes, even if we think the answers are easy peezy lemon squeezy!!

Gracias, dankesch�n, arigato, obrigado, merci, spasiba.....!!!!!!!!!

24 Sep 2009      

Anna P
Brazil

Keys would made our lives much easier! 

24 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I agree that in things like crossword puzzles and wordsearch, one should include a key, but in grammar exercises, if you can �t do the work, maybe you shouldn �t be teaching English.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

24 Sep 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello dear Colibrita,

You are absolutely right about the key answer issue. It facilitates things for teachers, esp. when it has to do with high level worksheets like comprehension texts, and hard puzzles. However, I agree with Silk that simple exercises need no answer keys and they are easily figured out.

As far as I �m concerned, I hate to supply an answer key to any work I do, even at my school. I always leave it to my collegues. So, sorry if I didn �t supply an answer key to any worksheets I might supply. Hey, it �s not the way Silk explained it. Such a naughty teacher!!! Noooooooooo!!

Anyways, your point is very important and we teachers shoul reconsider more seriously.

Hugs,
Nebal

24 Sep 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Judy - wouldn �t it just!!!!

Silke- I enjoyed reading your reply and I know what you mean, we �re all English teachers, but the problem is where do we draw the line between what �s easy and what �s not? I feel like who am I to decide?You don �t find gaps in the keys in teacher �s books coz the publisher thinks hey this exercise is fr***king easy, let �s leave the answers out. KWIM? I �m a native speaker so I barely need them but I just think they should be included as a matter of course, and especially to help out English teacher newbies.

Oops I think I misspelt peezy! should be peasy!

Tschussiiiiiiiiiiiii!

24 Sep 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hey Silke, this is another issue I hate. I never proof-read my work. If I did, I would feel bored and try to change it. Let the inspiration go flawlessly !!!

Hugs,
NebalSmile

24 Sep 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Dear colibrita,Smile

excellent idea. You �re not the first one starting this topic and I myself try to provide answer keys to more difficult  exercises. But they are not needed for the easiest wss as Silke wrote.

Oh, Judy...Unhappy

your answer wans �t nice at all. I prefer wss with answer key as well. Not because I would have problems with doing the grammar, but because my time is really precious and keys just make it easier.

So, please, please, next time think twice before you �ll write such a thing.

Hugs, MichaelaHug

24 Sep 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hi again, Silke! No, sure they wouldn �t NEED a key for something like that (coz boy they �d really be in troubleLOL), but what I �m TRYING to say is how can we really judge what �s easy and what �s not? so it just makes sense to write a key for everything.

A case in point: somebody wrote an exercise on modals, with no key. Perhaps if they �d written the key they would have realised there were in fact several possible answers not just one. Imagine a teacher goes into class (with very little preparation time) suddenly to realise that! With modals! Or I �ve seen exercises on past simple versus present perfect (which i �m sure would be regarded as easy as shooting fish in a barrel for most English teachers) that could actually be written both ways and be correct. Once again if the teacher had written a key they may well have realised and therefore amended the sentence so there could be no ambiguity.

Anyway, Silke, you know what the reason for my original post comes down to in the end? I �m feeling too lazy to ask people to add keys!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 Sep 2009     

silpont
Argentina

Dear Nebal,

I agree with ur opinion about keys.. but would you be so sure about one exercise having it?. I mean if I download any exercise either with key or not I do always check whether there are no spelling or grammar mistakes,  even if I have the key.

Actually Im working with some books which apart from having the key, they contain spelling ans some grammar mistakes! We are not perfect at all, so my suggestion would be this one: don �t take everything from granted. Try to check materials beforehand, and in spite of having the key read the whole task in advance, this way you ll be more comfortable with the things you will be dealing with. This is just a piece of advice. And as regards Silke �s answer I agree with her. There are some exercise which don �t need the key at all. 

Hope this helps.

Hugs!

Silvi. :)

24 Sep 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Silvi,

I really loved your piece of advice. Surely, I need it. Proof-reading is a must, and many a times I discover how silly my mistakes are. I �m an English Literature graduate , and used to write very windy expressive analysis. My prof. used to admire m work, but always complained coz I have silly mistakes. The big problem was my hatred to do any proof-reading. When I tried to proof-read any written work, I felt bored and not inspired at all. So, I resorted to changing the whole material. Believe me, I still have the same old problem now, but I always stress this writing stage in my classrooms. I �ll try your way from now on. Who knows? I might not lose my joy and inspiration.

Thanks a lot!!
Nebal

24 Sep 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi Colibrita (I like hummingbirds... in French it �s called a colibri, too!)
I must say that I agree with Judy and Silke.
It �s nice of you to say "thank you" in many languages.
If you ever want to add it in Hebrew, the word for it is "toda".
Have a good evening,
Aimee

24 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >