Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What īs going on?     

What īs going on?

monicap_87
El Salvador

What īs going on?

Hi dear teacher around the world....!!! A few days ago, two members of this forum (Ivona and Caroline) decided to leave for good.... They claimed, in short, that the forum was īpolluted � with spiteful words, unfairness, and people unwilling to follow īthe rules �.... I don īt know whether they were right or not. I myself happen to find this site extremely useful and enriching. I just love it.

However,  I can īt help thinking Ivona was partially right when I see rude posts (arguments) like the ones we īve witnessed lately. I īm wondering.... Has the site always been like this? People offending each other? Calling each other names? I AM NOT SAYING īmister so-and-so is right �, or īMs whatever � IS.... I don īt know (don īt really mind) who is right.... I just would like this mean comments to stop..... I guess most of you share my feeling.... What can we do about it? All I could think of was, posting more productive subjects.... and cross our fingers (hoping this stops)....

My īproductive � new thread is: What īs your technique when checking quizzes/tests? How do you manage to do it as fast as possible? Is there any strategy? I feel I take forever to do so..... hahaha Ideas? Wacko

25 Sep 2009      

moravc
Czech Republic

Put several sheets of paper next to each other and correct the very same exercise at once? :-)
or even better: ask the students to redistribute the "small" tests
and provide them a key
and they correct the partner īs tests on their own... :-D
or give the kids multiple-choice tests, so you can correct the ticks only  :-) pretty fast :-))
I dunno what requirements do you have to fulfil... and how old your students are...
it really depends on age and rules at your school...
we used to have 5-minute tests at the beginning of almost all English lessons, and we used to correct them in pairs... sort of minor / small tests to see if we are able to follow the new grammar, vocabulary...

25 Sep 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

I agree. Sometimes there is too much drama on what another person created or their format. I see issues arise often. However, I can īt deny how helpful this site has been for my teaching experience. I am able to receive advice from other professionals on activities and even download printable before class. This site has provided me with endless games and ideas to keep my students attentive. Thanks to everyone on ESLPrintables for being great partners for me.

Back to all the drama Wacko I choose to stay out of it. So far I haven īt had any attacks and I choose to keep it that way.

25 Sep 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

morning everybody,
especialy u dear Sylvie for those great words u have just said..
mine too are enjoying the ESL WS.. and i īve heard them saying:
" Yooouuuuuuppppiiiiiii; Miss Mouna (that īs me) is getting us great staff this year!"
so, yes i īm glad to be a part of this site....
an excellent weekend for u all..

25 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Whenever you have so many people involved, there are going to be arguments, though I must admit these are paricularly vitriolic.

What particularly bothers me, though is the very bad English of these English teachers.

I think they could expend some of their aggressive energy in learning the language they are teaching.

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

25 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

First of all all tests should be multiple choice.  The students prefer these and you (the teacher) will love them.  Then create an excel sheet with the you and students as headers and the questions as rows.  Enter the correct answers in the first column (My Answers) and the students answers in the others.  At the end check the student answers against yours.  You can set this up so the totals are calculated automatically: 

A             / B                  /C               /D 
Question / My Answers / Student 1 / Student 2
1             / A                  / B              / A
2             / C                  / A              / A

In the totals at the end for each student:
For student 1:
=IF(C03=B03,1,0)+
IF(C04=B04,1,0)

Student 1 total = 0

For student 2:
=IF(D03=B03,1,0)+
IF(D04=B04,1,0)

Student 1 total = 1

Explanation:
B03/B04 : Refer to the column with your answers.
C03/C04 : Refer to the column with the student 1Âīs answers.
D03/D04 : Refer to the column with the student 2Âīs answers.
(Obviously more students more columns)

Basically this will add 1 if the answer matches yours and 0 if it doesn īt.

*** Tip ***
Write the formula for Student 1 (check it manually carefully to make sure the formula is correct) and copy it.
Paste the formula into notepad and "Replace All" "C" with "D".  And copy the changed formula back into excel for Student 2  Repeat this process for all students.

It takes a while to set up but once it īs done you can use it as a template for all subsequent tests saving you a lot of time.  I go one step further and have the student write their answers directly into excel (I hide the totals column and my answers of course).  This allow me to immediately give them the result.  I have this set up for the TEOIC test I give my students cross referencing a TOEIC scoring table to give them their TOEIC score.  If you want more help / explanation PM me I īll explain in more detail. Sorry for the long post.

25 Sep 2009