Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IN or AT doubt    

IN or AT doubt

newuser07
Argentina

IN or AT doubt

Hi guys!

Is there any difference between I work in (company x) and I work at (company x)?
I used to teach I work for but after reading some texts I�m not sure now.

Are all of them right?

THanks in advance!

Smile

27 Sep 2009      

maoopa
China

Most people here say "I work at ..." but "work for" is also very used. I´ve never heard "I work in"

Mauro

27 Sep 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would think that for suggests that the speaker is thinking of the company that employs him/her, while at suggests that the speaker may be thinking of the office or location as he speaks; but   �I am an employee of Pepsi � also conveys the same.   In would  probably be used as a type of establishment �I work in a factory�.

27 Sep 2009     

mcandelacch17
Argentina

I would say I work for, but not I work in or at a company. Check in this link http://www.collins.co.uk/Corpus/CorpusSearch.aspx. It �s the Collins Concordance Collocation sample. You just have to type your query like this: work+at+a+company or work+for+a+company or work+in+a+company. Here you will find all the collocations usually and mostly used by native speakers of the language. good luck!  

27 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

"I work in...", to me means that you �re working in the particular office building, but not necessarily �for � the company or employed by the company. "I work at..." has similar connotations for me. I �d use "I work for..." if I �m talking about the company that employs me.

As an example, I work for myself, but I work �in � at least two schools and often work �at � some large corporations where I teach business students.

27 Sep 2009     

newuser07
Argentina

THanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very clear answers and thanks for the great link :)

Have a great weekend!!!

27 Sep 2009     

teacher_julia
United States

The only time I would say "I work in" is when I �m talking about a department. I could say "I work in the language department" or "I work in electronics" but when you use a company name you would say "I work for"

1 Oct 2009     

moudy92
Qatar

I think both in  or at can work well .

1 Oct 2009