Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > intonation problems    

intonation problems

chat52
Costa Rica

intonation problems

hey you super-teachers, do you know how can i have my students to improve their intonation through any activity.......... thankssssss

28 Sep 2009      

ramon.moravski
Brazil

Hello there,

Well, one thing I do is practice tongue twisters with my students. This kind of activity makes students learn the pattern of sounds of English as well as it exercises the muscles of the mouth, throat and tongue. Sometimes the problem is not that student doesn �t understand the sound, he/she can �t pronounce the sound due to lack of muscle practice. If they improve the sound pattern the intonation will come more naturally.

There are a lot of tongue twister activities in this website (I also have one printable about it).

Another way is making them read sentences with arrows shoing the intonation. After some practice they kind of memorize the intonation and then it becomes natural.

Hope this helps you.

Ramon

28 Sep 2009     

bluebird4
United States

Hello,
I think one of the best ways to learn English is to listen to other speakers who are using correct pronunciation, intonation, etc.
Do you have any tapes, CD �s, or these sort of things?
Sometimes you can get whole books that have been recorded in English.

Good luck with your class!

28 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Phonetic drills. Practice makes perfect! Big smile 

29 Sep 2009     

dyndel
El Salvador

I draw some shapes over the stressed syllables and give an explanation of every drawing. This object could be like a comma pointing up if the syllable has a strong sound, if a syllable is not pronounced with strength then I put it down. Finally this works because students relate the objects with stress, basically when my ss manage the correct intonation I erase the drawings. This is also useful in sentences so I write the object on the stressed word.
Hope you like it and it helps you.

30 Sep 2009