Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Word meaning    

Word meaning

delanne29
Brazil

Word meaning

Hi guys, I �m trying to make a worksheet about the movie When a Stranger Calls. I came through this word that I don �t know the meaning and I can �t find it in any dictionary. Can you help me? The work is Cakewalk. I wrote the piece of the dialogue below. thanks.

Kelly � We were so thrilled to find a babysitter at the last minute. You come highly recommended by the Thompsons.

Jill � Well, they�re great.

Kelly � If you can handle them, we�re gonna be a cakewalk. Tim, keys?

Tim � Yeah.

29 Sep 2009      

Zora
Canada

Okay in my day a "cakewalk" was a social benefit event where you paid to walk around a numbered square during music - like musical chairs - and when the music stopped, if you were on a certain square, you got to pick a cake that had been donated from a table of cakes and pies.

29 Sep 2009     

tvillalobos
United States

In this context, it means we �re going to be easy. Basically if the babysitter can handle the Thompson �s kids, then Kelly �s kids will be a piece of cake or a lot easier to handle. :)

29 Sep 2009     

delanne29
Brazil

thanks guys. It really helped.Smile

29 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

WOW!!! Linda, you are really old. lol

29 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

I turned to my trusty friend Wikipedia and guess what, the term derives from the Cakewalk dance!  The actual dance has a most interesting history.

Today the term cakewalk also means something that is very easy or effortless. 

I�d never heard of this term before - so it�s my new word for the day.  I think it derives from American English.

Cheers

Jayho

29 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

@Spagman,

Not that old. I just grew up in a rural farm area and we did those kinda things! LOL

29 Sep 2009     

sperras
Hong Kong

It �s a common expression to mean that something is easy to do or requires little effort.

For Example,
A: " How was your exam?"
B: " No problem. It was a cakewalk. I think I aced it."

Hope that helps...

29 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

I �m with Linda.  I loved cakewalks when I was a kid.  (I also grew up in a rural area.)
Also,  "it�s a cakewalk" means it´s extremely easy (just like "it�s a piece of cake.")

29 Sep 2009