Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New to teaching:0    

New to teaching:0

annabelle1654
Germany

New to teaching:0

Hello all,

I am a new esl teacher, and my question is, How do you teach intermediate and above business language in ESL.  I would love to chat or get some ideas.  I �ve tried lesson planning, however I �m not sure what "all" my lessons should contain.  What is it they have to know? Some things are too advanced. How do you walk that fine line when you �re dealing with business students. Can someone give me ideas of a book/website for intermediates and above students. Or give me some idea about what you would include. They seem to know the basics, so how do i advance them to the next level without overwhelming them??   I �ve read books on lesson planning but I am still pretty clueless. Any light you can provide would help.

29 Sep 2009      

stuartallen77
China

It sounds a bit crazy, but have you tried playing the famous board game �Monopoly � with them? It �s got some great business and finance language in the game such as �mortgage �, �loans �, �rent �, �utilities �, �tax �, etc. You can really get into it and your class will learn some really useful language!

Hope this helps,

Stuart
(Xi �an, China)

29 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Stuartallen77,

Your avatar scares me... Cry

Anabelle1654, maybe you could try these printables to see if they have what you need. :o))

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=bussiness+english&B1=Search#thetop

29 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Annabelle,

I know exactly what you are feeling.  Every week I fight with what to teach my advanced students and what not to  teach them.  Their English is very good and I find they mostly are looking to expand their vocabulary and better understand the more complicated nuances in English (idioms, hypothetical situations, etc.).

So far I have been most successful giving them an article to read before class and then discussing the article in class.  I usuallly put together a worksheet that provides some vocabulary, comprehension questions, and research questions.  The main thin g I have learned is to be ready to go off on a tangent if they have questions about a certain concept or language style. 

I am currently working on a couple videos to watch in class and then discuss.

Another thing I found that they really liked was I taught some simple business communications lessons (normally for native speakers) in English (I used to teach management and communications to both Germans and Americans).  I did the lessons like I would for normal English native speakers, but just stopped sometimes to explain vocab, etc. questions.  I think I will do more of this in the future--it �s stuf they can use in their jobs and it furthers their English as well.

Douglas

29 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Seems like you have a lot of planning to do. To save time just browse through worksheets here, make sure you choose INTERMEDIATE option in your search.

You can also check out some books for Intermediate students and see what the topics are included there and then go from there.

Here is a nice site for downloading books for free, try Headway Intermediate.

Good luck!

Sasa

29 Sep 2009     

annabelle1654
Germany

Thank you, thank you all!!! I almost have tears in my eyes!! You guys are so great and so generous.  I will pass your generousity on. I am happy that we can call one another colleagues.

Belles

29 Sep 2009