Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEW TEACHER WITH QUESTIONS! Please help    

NEW TEACHER WITH QUESTIONS! Please help

N.F.T
South Africa

NEW TEACHER WITH QUESTIONS! Please help

Hi all, wonder if you could offer some advice?

I �ve been wondering lately whether or not my students are actually LEARNING anything from me.  My typical class (both general and private) is ALWAYS focused on the skills - SPEAKING WRITING READING & LISTENING. 

I very rarely teach a �grammar point � - (my student levels are UPP INT and ADVANCED) and focus the lessons on the students using the language with purpose - eg �write a character description of Matilda (we �re reading the book) �.

Today I took my class to a contemporary art gallery that exclusively exhibits South African Contemp. Artists - and I allowed them the freedom to explore the works and find ones that they loved and hated - and then we discussed the reasons why they had these reactions to the paintings.  There was a tiny worksheet that simply said:
Title (of painting):
Artist:
Your description of the painting:
Your reaction to the painting:

This lead to a discussion on colour and shape and textures and of course INTERPRETAION.

My classes all typically run in a similar manner - we always discuss opinions, observations etc etc  - and I know they are learning new vocab along the way.

I �m considering giving ALL my students a �teacher evaluation form � tomorrow as this has been bothering me quite a while now - are my students LEARNING from me?

I �d like your observations, whether or not you think learning a GRAMMAR RULE and DOING EXERCISES is VERY important.  I �ve recently been reading about INDUCTIVE learning and teaching methods but I �m a bit worried I �m allowing too much personal expression and not focusing on actual RULES and EXERCISES.

Your thoughts?

29 Sep 2009      

joy2bill
Australia

I understand how you feel. I have often wondered this myself. I think your ideas and method are great as long as you cover any queries or problems as they arise.

I hate to say it but some students do like old-fashioned explanations and exercises but if they are done when and where they arise within your intergrated lesson you get the best of both worlds.

Good luck, Joy

29 Sep 2009     

kmtr
United States

I think you are doing great!  Your class sounds interesting and the kids sound engaged. I think that once kids reach a certain level in their new language then it �s practice, practice, practice. Giving them new ways to think and use the new language gives them the fluency and comfort that they need.  To me the upper int. and advanced levels are some of the most fun because it is all about letting them use the language in new and different ways-- fine tuning what they already know in theory.  Of course, you don �t want to totally leave grammar and vocabulary out. As they write, how do you guide them through their mistakes? Just take time to do mini-grammar lessons as the class shows their needs. (Whole language theory, shared experience writing, or reading/writing workshop if you want to look up the research.)

29 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Evaluation form is a great idea, you �ll learn a lot about your students, yourself and your classes. You �ll be amazed how many ideas they will give you.
I think you are doing a great job, but try to add something new now and then. There are many games you could play with advanced students, role-plays or even do a real short play in class. Of course grammar is important, but if you feel that they already know all that, just do some grammar exercises with the topic you are covering that day.
If you search this amazing site, I �m sure you �ll find everything you need.

Greetings,

Sasa

29 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Yes, I also think at this level grammar is not so important any more, especially if they are in a country where the language is all around them. Just when you feel they constantly stumble on sth. you may want to do some exercises, drills or whatever. Games would be nice, too, for a change, or it may start getting too serious. What about "home reading"? My students love it! They all read one and the same STORY at home for a certain date, and each student has to prepare at least 5 questions on the story - you can �t imagine what questions they invent and what heated arguments start! Sometimes the class is over, but they can �t stop arguing and discussing! Of course you need �discussable � stories, like O.Henry, Somerset Maugham, Oscar Wilde, or Roald Dahl (his stories, not kids � books), etc.

29 Sep 2009     

UgiTeacher
Turkey

I think english must be taught like that from the beginnig of the learning process.We all learnt mother tongue by observing the environment,listening to human speech and looking at the pictures in books.We spoke when we felt ourselves ready to speak.That �s why we acquire mother tongue and we learn foreign language.You want your students to acquire target language by doing like that.Go on my dear teacher :-)

30 Sep 2009