Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TOEFL PREP TRAINING?    

TOEFL PREP TRAINING?

N.F.T
South Africa

TOEFL PREP TRAINING?

Would like to know if teachers are given training in order teach a TOEFL PRERARATION CLASS?

Ive been teaching for 4 months and I have group TOEFL prep class for 3 hours once a week, plus a private TOEFL PREP class 2 x 2hours every week. 

I �m finding this quite difficult to prepare for as well teach my usual daily classes as I am having to learn the test, how to grade it appropriately and how to teach exam prep technique for the student (as well as the teacher).

It �s quite overwhelming and I �m worried because it �s a huge responsibility - I will effect whether these people will be accepted in university or not!  It scares me a little.  I know I �m doing a good job as a teacher in my ADV and UPP INT classes - but this is a different kettle of fish!

Any advice or observations?

30 Sep 2009      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello,
well, it may vary from country to country and from school to school...I have never heard about special teaching courses for teachers of TOEFL but I suppose there are some. But sometimes a teacher is chosen to teach for TOEFL by taking into account his/her ability to teach high levels. it �s based on a teacher �s experience and knowledge. Even if a teacher has never dealt with TOEFL or any English language exams but uses English fluently and accurately and can actually easily adapt to the structure of an exam, then I don �t think it can be a problem. The main thing is to feel confident about it and prepare for class as thoroughly as possible, taking into consideration even the smallest details. You are right by saying it �s difficult to prepare lessons because, yes, teaching for exams is always time consuming.
Also you may try to find other colleagues who have taught for TOEFL and ask their advice about the points that worry you. If you do feel that you are not doing enough for your students, it �s never late to drastically change your plan and get more books, more materials, more extra activities, more tests.
good luck!

30 Sep 2009     

addy84
Mexico

Hi!! as a current student and a person who has taken the toefl like 5 times I would like to advise you somethings that might help you:

1. There is this author Longman who has a book to practice TOEFL, the key of this book is some tips the author teaches you so your students can crack the exam easily.
2. Make them read "The Economist", national geographic and BBC, they all have webpages where you can find news or interesting articles. The reading part of the TOEFL can be difficult because we are not use to read scientific, history or any high level of english literature. So get them used to be in touch with new vocabulary and to make them understand what they are reading is so important.
3. Do the exam by yourself so you can know what you are teaching, www.free-english.com has great and free toefl practices online, really similar to what you will find if you do the exam on paper or in the computer.
4. Learn that the grammar part is easy if you learn to recognize the basic structures or grammar rules, there is always a verb missing, a pronoun that is wrong, and adverb instead of and adjective, verbs in a wrong time, articles where they are not need, etc.
5. The listening section maybe the easy one, but they need to be concentrated and they need to train themselves to listen and remember most of the important things in the conversation.
6. Test practices are the key of this exam, it is a long test so you have to be prepared physically to be in a chair for a long time, concentrate a lot, and read carefully so you can spot the mistakes in the grammar section, or so you can fill in the gaps what is missing. The same for the listening pay attention and understand the conversations, for the reading part read carefully and read more than once if you need.

There is plenty of exams online you can use for them to practice they even tell you your mistakes.

Hope you find this helpful, it was for me and I recently did the exam with a 590 score, wish I get more but not bad for someone who did it like four times and always get like 524.

30 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

You can do it. Basically, teaching TOEFL or any other test is still teaching English, the only difference being that it �s a good idea to go through the actual test format with the students. I like to use the TOEFL preparation books. There are a few out, but Longman is good. I find that students have trouble with time management in the test (all advanced tests actually), so giving them tips to maximise their time during the test is valuable. With the reading, I try to train them to judge the meaning of words from the context, as they �re bound to be given a text on an unfamiliar subject. Addy84 gives good advice with that. Get them to read. 

1 Oct 2009