Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Translation as homework    

Translation as homework

moudy92
Qatar

Translation reveals the root differences among a variety of cultures in our world . 

1 Oct 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

I completely agree with Copa! Maybe you can forget about translation with ESL, but with EFL - you can �t pretend that ss don �t try to translate words & phrases in their minds and that they completely forget about their mother tongue during the class. If you just rely that "they will understand it from the context" you may sometimes get su-u-u-ch surprises! It turns out that they haven �t even understood the task because they have misinterpreted a word, e.g. "Complete the sentences" is understood as "Compare the sentences". I ALWAYS ask them to translate a word, a phrase or a sentence if I �m not sure they have understood it correctly. Why would otherwise bilingual dictionaries exist?

2 Oct 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

I don �t think that translation is a bad thing.
At the university , we used to have texts to translate fron Arabic to English and vice versa, so that we learnt better the difference between languages and we avoided  translating word by word.
What shouldn �t be done with young English learners is to translate words now and then, when we are supposed to teach just in English, so that students will try hard to learn and understand  English(we can illustrate what we want to say by gesture ,  drawing  and flashcards....)
Hope this helps.

2 Oct 2009     

yalanguz
Turkey

Translation is important and usefull if it is used only sometimes when it is necessary.

2 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I agree with manonski, I work at a branch of an American school and the students are not allowed to use L1 in class. The teachers also have to speak only English with the students (or to each other, if there �s a student nearby) to create an atmosphere that will help students think in English.

I learned English at the same school,  and so did my children - and it really works. All the students are able to translate because they learned English using the same process they learned Portuguese.

The school emphasizes the oral & listening skills, but I feel some students may need more written & grammar practice, and that �s because my wss are grammar-oriented (they already have tons of oral & listening practice).

I sometimes prepare bilingual wss for some colleagues but I never use them with my students.

2 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Just to say I agree with Manonski and Zailda. The more the students read, speak, listen or write in English, the more they feel the second language.

2 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2