Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Worksheets with 1st language included    

Worksheets with 1st language included

zambia09
Czech Republic

Well, Mariethe,

in that case I would advise you to upload it to FSL. 

If everyone thought the way you do and made his own rules, there is no point in having ESL printables, is there?  I totally agree with joy2bill.

By the way  - I think the above ws should be removed and I really don �t care what are you going to think.

Have a nice day.

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Again, to reiterate Victor �s comment (& he is the ultimate authority on the site) there are times when it could be appropriate to include L1 in an upload!

Irrespective of others � opinions or statements... it is HIS site & he is the one with the ultimate AUTHORITY to decide whether something is able to be included or not. This should be taken into account when voting on reported uploads or advising others of rights & wrongs.

Personally, I don �t see the point of including much in the way of L1 (for many of the reasons stated & several others too). However, it is not my place (nor that of anyone else apart from Victor) to state that no L1 is to be used in uploads!

If in doubt... please refer to his comments!

Regards,
AB

p.s. My only issue with the advice given by Libertybelle is that Victor did not state an upload had to be in English only.  She should be aware of the discussions related to this topic because she�s been a member here for a while now.
I don�t believe in giving erroneous statements as fact. It�s a whole different ballgame to give a personal opinion rather than stating an untruth (even with good intent) as being the law.

Cheers,
AB

4 Oct 2009     

_babz
Canada

I can �t believe what I �m hearing

maybe its just me.....but when teaching an L2 to children...i think you shoud avoid using L1....plain and simple, I �ve been teaching for years and rarely rarely use it........

i feel it should be avoided all together

children (and teens) can adapt...and they �ll only become bilingual, if they are �submerged � in the L2......use icons and pics if necessary......explain the words differently...use easier synonyms....sign language.......and avoid L1

my two cents !

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

ACtually (& I �ll try & locate the actual studies to quote over the next week) it has been shown that L1 used in an enabling manner actually increases acquisition of L2, but that �s just according to a lot of fairly recent research....

Sign language differs from one country & social group to another...  the idea that �total immersion � is the absolute best way to learn a language is a little outmoded. It can even be argued that adults acquire formal grammatical knowledge far more quickly than children & are therefore better L2 language learners. Children, however, do have an advantage when it comes to spoken language in that their musculature is more flexible than that of an adult, so they will develop a native accent more easily.

Bilingualism is a whole different subject to L2/3/X acquisition.

4 Oct 2009     

Mariethe House
France

dear Zambia!! I will pay for being honest! Had I not mentionned it you would have not noticed it! Anyway, you know, it �s my last year taching ... I keep being very active .. one year before retiring, I have started my site to value my pupils � work, to motivate them and to encourage them!!Have a look:
http://sites.google.com/site/englishriom/

I could easily relax and sit on my backside but I don �t! I don �t know how old you are  but you still have to learn a lot and in particular a lot about tolerance and envisaging things from different angles!
I don �t care if my ws is deleted because I have enough friends here on this site  who , because I have always been truthful , helpful and friendly will only be too happy to send me one of their ws if I need it! I am not looking for points! Since I registered, I only used 197 points!! and lots of ws, I never used!!
So, do as you please, dera colleague..; I know it will be a hard job for you!
And about the subject of the hard work it gives you, you chose to be a moderator ! noone forced you! Not even Victor! LOL

4 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

@Mariethe

Sorry, but your age doesn �t excuse your rules breaking. It �s great you run site for your students - I �ve got one for more than 2 years too and there I DO download my bilingual wss. I would never do it here as I consider it selfish and disrepectful to other users.

And yes, I wrote it earlier already  that it is my choice - but I consider myself being honest and I expect others to be too. If they aren �t and don �t respect other members (either by stealing their wss or not respecting the rules) they deserve to be reported.

What makes me sad is your approach. Your announcement about sending a ws for "French only" seemed to me being pretty arrogant. I hope it only looked that way and you haven �t meant it.

Regards, Michaela

4 Oct 2009     

Mariethe House
France

My last post!
Of course I meant it for my French colleagues! i am not that stupid! It happens to be quite a complex behaviour chart and , for it to be efficient it had to be in the kids � language!

And at the time THE LAW had not been passed!

Anyway, you do as you think is right ! No harm done!

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

& what makes me sad is rules mongers who don �t even read discussions about how rules apply & consider their outlook to be the only one that is correct!!!

Have you actually read Victor �s thoughts as to why L1 may be appropriate before talking about �breaking rules �? In Victor�s own posts he has described both the rules & the examples provided to moderators as guidelines only... not unmalleable, absolutes of right & wrong...

Good night everyone!

4 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2