Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > help with an adult beginer    

help with an adult beginer

missundaztood_74
Spain

help with an adult beginer

hello everyone!!!
hope all of you had a great halloween weekend

I have a problem concerning an adult student that i have. He knows nothing of english, so we are starting from the very begining, and im trying to find a good way of teaching him verbs and vocabulary, but in a very easy way.
Do you have any suggestion of how to explain to him or any book you can recomend me or worksheets.

please please help. :D:D

have a great day you all!!!

3 Nov 2008      

ichacantero
Honduras

Hi, I know what your going through... sometime when we begin our courses, there are a few sts who don�t even know what hello or yes mean. The first lessons are very important for these sts, mainly because they decide if they want to learn or not according to how they feel in those first days. I have lesson plans for those first days that I can share with you, if you�re interested my email address is [email protected] The only problem you might have is that they�re designed to be used with the cousre book World Link, but there could be some ideas that might help you. Cheers and good luck!!

3 Nov 2008     

graace
Venezuela

Hi missun, I have a similar student, an adult beginner who had no knowledge of english.
My approach is to treat her as I would a child beginner- lots of vocabulary games, flashcards, memory techniques- but you can use more grownup situations, like using the airport vocab to practice numbers, the time etc. Also I have been doing Birthdays to practice the days of the week and months and members of the family.
I think this could be a good start, just keep it simple so that he can get used to the way english looks and sounds.

Hope this helps

Grace

3 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi,

It depends on the age of the student, and interest of the student....  but in general, I find simple word lists with the use of flashcards help a lot to build up vocabulary. Verbs should be seen at a very low level, like simple commands or instructions at first.

3 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I completely agree with Zora and Grace,

KIS = Keep It Simple

and with Icha - Keep it fun!

Flashcards, basic questions with pictures, basic instructions, play games, have fun - basic verbs - and don�t mention grammar!

Good Luck
Vicki

3 Nov 2008     

saninfe
Spain

Hi!

I had the same problem a few years ago. What I did was treating my adult students as I do with children: use games, wordlists, flashcards and songs; you can try roleplays as well. The important thing is that they find funny and interesting your lessons.

Good Luck!!

Sandra

3 Nov 2008     

missundaztood_74
Spain

thank you all for your great ideas. Smile
Ill keep trying making it as simple as possible,
THANK YOU ALLLClap

ICHA IM GONNA SEND YOU AN EMAIL RIGHT NOW

LOTS OF LOVE
XOXO

kAr

3 Nov 2008     

grikoga
Poland

What I do is to tech basic verbs on fash cards, later I teach simple sentences like : WATCH TV : I watch TV every day, all lesson is based on differen verbs to drill sentences which are made only by a student; later I add :I like watching  TV .... and another 30 sentences; later I would like to watch TV; He watches TV; I will watch TV ; I am watching TV; of course each sentence practised on one lesson, I also have cards with questions - I show ss answers and they must ask questions - starting from very simple ones like: My name is Ela. ss: What�s your name ? - it goes very quicly, I teach 12 years and I think that this method is excellent ! :))

9 Nov 2008     

monsone
United States

I am in the same situation. I have several students who are new from Burma. They have no reading or writing skills and have never attended school. I have found that they are excellent artists and have used their skills to help them learn vocabulary. Start off with having your student be able to say his name and address etc. My students love doing flash cards. You can make flash cards and have them sort into categories (nouns, verbs, adjectives), do memory games, or create sentences. In order to add a visual element, I have them draw a visual cue on each card as well. I hope this helps! Good luck!

12 Nov 2008