Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > make students behave in class    

make students behave in class

blancamendez
Spain

make students behave in class

hi everyone!!
i have this year a class of 7 year old kids who were used to do what they want to in class with their former teacher.
they aren �t bad kids, bad they are all time moving around the classroom, talking aloud (I know kids usually do this, but they are worse)
so, i wonder if u can give some good ideas to make them behave without punishing them at all times.
i have been thinking about giving them 5 stars for a week and they have to try to keep all of them. but i want them to have it in their notebooks or in a page and i �m not sure about the format.

thanks in advance, mates!!

6 Oct 2009      

Ann-M
Canada

If it is the class you have trouble with, I would try to work on the group dynamic. You can say that the time you save trying to have them listen could be cumulated for a fun game or a song at the end of the lesson, for instance. Turn off the light as a code for them to understand it is quiet time. Practice it in a fun way for them to see it positively. Stand in front of the class with your finger in front of your lips and say you will give points for a treat only to the five students who notice you are waiting and go quiet first. This may make the management of the class less heavy and work for you.

Good luck!

Ann

6 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

If you choose to reward them, make sure they don �t wait too long. Younger kids need rewards quicker than older kids.
The attention span is also short. It �s preferable to do a bunch of short activities that will retain their attention than longer ones they �ll get bored of after a while.

6 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I forgot to tell you this: I have a treasure box full of stuff that I buy at Dollarstores. No one can see what is inside the box except the student who won. I like keeping the secrecy and I tell my young learners that one day, they �ll have the chance to see what is in it if they behave well.

6 Oct 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

Being a supply teacher, I �ve seen different rewards systems teachers use in their classes. One teacher had tickets that she would give and take away for speaking French. They were put and removed from a pocket chart that had the names of each student written on them. Anothe teacher had thousands of little purple fantastic tickets. The kids got them for good behavior and they loved getting them, although I don �t know what the reward was. Another school had something where the students got a paper bird feather-a phoenix feather. It had to be signed by the teacher, then the students would run to hand it in to the office. A Special Ed teacher I know hands out paper dollar bills for having homework books signed, reading silently, and so forth. At the end of the week, the student with the most money gets to have lunch with the teacher. Other teachers offer free periods or no homework if the kids are good. I hand out lollipops to kids doing a good job, or bouncy balls. For example, if a student stays behind to help push in the chairs, I �ll give them a candy.  For older kids, I �ve gone out to buy McDonalds or pizza for them. Many years ago when I was teaching full time, I had paper apples I would tape to the window. I would pick one student for the week who did a good job-they completed all their work, or they tried really hard, or they had good attendance, I would pick one for the week, one for the month. The kids liked the apples better than the erasers or pencils I would give them as prizes. Just make sure your rules are clear and they follow them. That teacher was last year, and you �re now. That �s what the kids need to realize.

6 Oct 2009     

blancamendez
Spain

than u so much for all your ideas and advices
i like that class, and as I told u they aren �t bad but they need to behave in class
i �m gonna try your ideas
i �ll tell u the results
:)

6 Oct 2009